Tortoise hissing

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hello again!

I just wondered if anyone knows the reason why my tortoise hisses. Just want to point out that I know that when they retract their heads really quickly that air is expelled from the lungs and the hissing isn't intentional. But Milly actually opens her mouth and a hiss comes out deliberately. She usually does it when I place food infront of her, or at my hand, but sometimes she does it at random times when im nowhere near her? Why?
I assume its a warning noise for me to move? But sometimes my hand is near her and she doesnt hiss, and she lets me stroke her head.

Puzzled!

Thanks for any help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are your four temps? Basking, warm side, cool side and night? How much humidity are you running? What age and size is your leopard?

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Daytime cool end: 25-27oC
Will find out warm end and basking spot for you.
Night time: 22-24oC

Do you think this is the reason? She has also been squeaking today - is this a sneeze? And she clicks her mouth. Im getting a bit worried she has a cold.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Humidity tends to stay about 50%
And she hatched in 2011 so she's a between one and two. She weights 521 grams and is 120mm long.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sounds like a respiratory infection to me, or pneumonia. Bump up the temperatures to start. If I were you, I wouldn't let the temperatures get to below 29C until the tortoise behaves normally. Keep the tortoise well hydrated too.

You may also want to consider a vet visit.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Oh no :( I think its happened because when I changed her bedding it was a bit cold. I use a 50/50 mix of play sand and loam/soil. Should I keep the temps about 29C at night too???

And can I just ask an unrelated question cause you both seem to know what your talking about... is it okay to use calcium carbonate that isn't specificly designed for animals? It says "also known as limestone flour. 39.4% calcium" ...sorry for all the questions.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yes. The warmer temperatures should help the tortoise fight off any sort of infection. Again, a vet visit is recommended too.

I'm not sure about the calcium question.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Just posting an update! Since raising the temps milly is doing well. Hissing is very rare, clicking has stopped, and her breathing isnt lethargic. Thanks very much! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.