tortoise getting bored?

Hainsy

Hi,
One of my 7 month old hermanns tortoises keeps trying to climb the walls of his enclosure. Could he be bored? I've tried regularly rearranging the rocks in his enclosure and moving the hides around to try and give him some variety.

He has a mercury vapour lamp on for 14 hours and off for 10.

Is this normal behavior? His sister is much calmer and eats, basks and sleeps normally. I've had them for about 3 week's.

Any suggestions?

SunnySideUp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
What is the size of your enclosure? Sometimes tortoises claw at the walls if they don't have enough space. Also, check that your temperatures are appropriate. If it's too hot he may be trying to find a cooler place and escape the heat. Same thing with too cold.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To add to what Sunny said, pairs don't work out. The other tortoise may be telling him to get out of her territory, and so he's trying to accomodate her.

Hainsy

The enclosure is about a meter long and about 60 cm wide. It's about 30°c under the basking lamp and 20°c down the cool end.
They came from the same batch so have always lived together and have shown no signs of not getting on.

They eat, sleep and bask next to each other so don't think it's because they don't like each others company. They have also shown no signs of fighting.

Could it be that he's just a bit hyperactive?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They need to be separated and they each need a larger enclosure with more interesting "furniture" in it.

A pic of your enclosure might help us to give some more suggestions.

Your basking temp should be a little warmer directly under the bulb.

Here is a thread that will explain the pair thing better:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

Hainsy

For the time being until I can buy another enclosure, could I put a board down the middle of the enclosure to seperate them or would that stress them out more?