1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Tortoise found on freeway

Discussion in 'Lost and Found' started by Kyle Sandahl, May 27, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Kyle Sandahl

Kyle Sandahl New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Pearblossom
    Had a person contact me knowing that I have desert tortoises I take care of & have on my property, he starts telling me that he had found a tortoise on the 14 freeway in Lancaster California. He saw it last second and swerved to avoid it and slammed on his brakes and ran back and got it before it got hit. He brought it to me and we've had it for a couple weeks now and are having trouble getting him to eat. Just by the way he acts I can tell he was someone's pet, so it makes me wonder if he escaped or had been dumped. I'm pretty certain he's a desert tortoise but we're starting to definitely believe that he's not native to our desert. He shows no interest in the same food that we feed are desert tortoises, we got him to drink water and had him soak for a while and he definitely enjoyed that. He's even eating the tops of some weeds in his enclosure area outside that I got that's the only thing that I've seen him eat. If somebody can help me identify the type of tortoise he is I'd be able to find the food he likes.

20190527_140010.jpg 20190527_135941.jpg 20190527_140025.jpg 15589934186578284346700812853316.jpg 15589934923575829404518724063518.jpg
    Kenno and jsheffield like this.
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    It IS a young male desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii). Feed him weeds and grass. He 's in pretty good shape. Did either you or your friend try to find his ownwr?
    jsheffield likes this.
  3. Kyle Sandahl

Kyle Sandahl New Member

Pearblossom
    Yea I've been watching online through facebook/craigslist/ local newspaper to see if anyone has been missing him, no luck so far. The friend that found him and brought him to me is a truck driver and is always on the road so he couldn't take care of him. If he is a desert tortoise he's definitely alot darker in color then my others, leading me to believe he might not be native to my desert.
    jsheffield likes this.
  4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    He's darker because he's been indoors. He's captive bred and has been very well-cared for.
    Kyle Sandahl and jsheffield like this.
  5. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
    Somebody has lost their pet...

I agree with Yvonne's assessments.

His appetite is probably down because we've been having the coldest most miserable spring weather I can ever remember. Blechhhhh! I hate this weather! Lucky for your new tortoise, and me, we start a warm sunny trend today! :)

I'm just a little south of you in SCV. I spend a fair amount of time in your area thinning out the rabbit population in the winter with my hawks.
  6. Kyle Sandahl

Kyle Sandahl New Member

Pearblossom
    Yea I agree 100%, he was someone's pet, he doesn't even show interest in digging a hole, we even started one for him. I've been bringing him in at night just because of how cold our weather has been getting, my other desert tortoises have all made there own holes and go into them to hibernate every winter. Have had them for over 30yrs. & they'll out live me probably.
  7. Alphakenc

Alphakenc Member

Love island
    Im glad he found a new home...Tort de force instinct to survive.
    Kyle Sandahl likes this.
  8. BeeBee*BeeLeaves

BeeBee*BeeLeaves Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Orange County, So Cal
    He's beautiful!
    Kyle Sandahl likes this.