Tortoise feeder

Erin1983

Hi, I am trying to come up with an idea on how to build a small standing tortoise feeder. I want something for our indoor habitat. The plan is for it to hold the leaves that we feed our tortoise up so it's easier for her to eat. Has anyone built any thing like this before?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Buy some clips from a stationary store or even a bag of chips clip, and clip the greens to the habitat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is a member here that posted something like this not too long ago. I can't remember where he was now. Indonesia, or Singapore? The name escapes me…

I think it was some sort of poultry feeder.

Anyhow, I just use a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate or an upside down, plastic butter tub lid.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom: The OP wants to make it easier for the tortoise to eat leaves.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom: The OP wants to make it easier for the tortoise to eat leaves.

Do you remember the tread I'm talking about? It was a member with a mixed species enclosure with radiateds and others, and he was using an upright chick feeder. The feeder stood upright and the leaves were dropped in from the top. Then there were little slots for the tortoises to eat from.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not a good one to ask, "Do you remember..." I'm notoriously bad at memory. I'll bet @jaizei can find it though.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A great idea. :D Please post pics which I am looking forward to seeing.:)

And a very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

adptorts

5 Year Member
California
Hi Erin. What species is it for? We use a horse feeder for some of the hay we feed our Galapagos. They make smaller versions for guinea pigs and such. Here is a picture from online. Would this work for your idea?image.jpg

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I think tom is talking about the member living in Asia somewhere and he had an aldabra and a couple radiated and a spider i believe.. I cant remember the name either.

Rue

Canada
Good sleuthing! I tried but couldn't find it. :)

Just need to make sure, whatever style you use, that they can't get stuck in it.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
499ef3a7-b68b-47cf-8032-a3957efa87b5.jpg

Reactions: Rue

Erin1983

20160710_174559.jpg Thank you everyone for your help! I actually came up with an idea and made it. She really seems to like it, it just isn't too pretty.20160708_144831.jpg

Erin1983

She is a russian tortoise that my daughters dad had bought her. My daughter spends most if her time with me and her dad didn't take very good care of the tortoise. My daughter Madison begged to bring the tortoise home to my house. She was afraid that it would die if she didn't. Well anyway my husband and I both fell in love with her and have been doing a lot of reading about russian tortoises. Any info would really help. Thank you all.