Tortoise excreted hair

Dosu

Location (City and/or State)
Kuwait
Hey everyone,

Today, my tortoise Lexa pooped out quite a bit of hair (slightly long) that was stuck to her poop. I would like to know if this is normal or not? It's the first time I have seen this. I almost never take her out of her enclosure unless its for soaking so if it's not normal I'm not sure where she would be ingesting this much hair from. (def. not me, my hair is fairly short :D)

Thanks,
Majd

Dosu

Kuwait
Are you sure this is hair and not plant fibres?

Do you let your tort roam the floor of your house?

I can almost guarantee its hair. I had to pull a few out of her :confused: i'm just not sure whether its human hair or tortoise hair(which makes no sense, why would tortoise have hairs growing in their bodies). And no, I never let her roam the house.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoises don't have hair! It will be from a human or a hairy pet. My daughter's long fine hair gets everywhere. I even find it in out tropical aquarium, but have no idea how it gets there.

You need to inspect the substrate to make sure its clean and to wash food thoroughly.... and hope that if there's any more that's been ingesed that it passes without causing a blockage.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
being reptiles tortoises do not have hair. It's eating it from somewhere which is a bad thing for it to do. hair is undigestible which can cause problems in the long run if your tortoise continues eating it.