Tortoise enclosure at Liberty Science Center too small overall? And too bright at night?

TheWaveCarver

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi everyone,

Last night I went to Liberty Science Center's After Dark event. It's held every first and third Thursday of the month from 6PM to 10PM.

My coworkers and I were having a blast when we stumbled on the tortoise exhibit. I took some photos. It appears to be way too small for the number of Redfoots kept inside it (I counted 6 tortoises) and way too bright. I took the photos at 9:50PM so it was pretty late.

I wanted some of our more expert members to offer their thoughts. I was thinking of sending an email over to the Liberty Science Center pointing out concerns.

I think the Liberty Science Center is a great resource of inspiration from the youth so I want to refrain from just bashing them and instead focus on what can be improved with the exhibit. I assume they have some funding.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It likely is too small for that many. Looks to dry also. RF needs a high humidity.
As for the light. Was it only light because they were open and had lights on for the humans? If there was light on in the enclosure then I would question if it is usually off at night like it should be.

TheWaveCarver

New York
It likely is too small for that many. Looks to dry also. RF needs a high humidity.
As for the light. Was it only light because they were open and had lights on for the humans? If there was light on in the enclosure then I would question if it is usually off at night like it should be.
The lights inside the enclosure were off. But the multiple windows allowed plenty of light from outside to spill into the enclosure. The tortoises seemed to be struggling to find darkness. It would be nice if there were shades that could be pulled down to darken the enclosure each night.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's definitely way too small for 6 Redfoot. And very irresponsible unless they are trying to breed them.
(Supposing they aren't all females)And they need a 12 hour night cycle in the dark

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Sometimes they DO listen.
A few years ago I made a small stink at the Flint River aquarium in Albany Georgia because they had 3 Gopher tortoises living in an enclosure less than 6 feet square indoors.
On my next trip I found that they now have an ample indoor and outdoor enclosure.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Sweet! It's nice that they were capable of listening to your advice! Good to hear no matter what.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I'm actually designing another avenue to the tort table so that I can make it wrap around the inside of the interior of my tortoise room.