Tortoise changed behaviour

Sophie Hylton

Hi everyone. I have two Horsfield Tortoises and originally thought they were two males. It turns out that there is one male and one female. The female is VERY dominant towards the male, biting, mounting, bobbing her head and the male is frightened of her. He isn't eating or drinking and is hiding from her for days if I let him (I take him out to feed without her in sight) and he seems very weak and not putting on any weight. He also has a very pale tongue. We have separated them in different enclosures and will be taking him to the vets tomorrow evening. However, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to feed him to hydrate him and give him what he needs for the time being. I'm a first time tortoise owner and the pet shop said they would be fine together. Obviously not and I will be keeping them apart from now on. Thank you

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I'm glad they've been separated! I've heard some nasty stories about Russians fighting when housed together. :( I would suggest giving him a soak every day, maybe providing more of the treat kinds of food along with leaves, like a small slice of cucumber, Opuntia pad (without spines) or the Mazuri pellets (after soaking them in water for a couple minutes). This seems to hydrate my Russian pretty well. Make sure there's always a dish of water available in his enclosure too! :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Very glad you have separated them. Poor guy. It is frustrating the bad info pet shops give. I too would soak this guy daily for a while. I would also make sure he is plenty warm. Stress lowers their immune system. Heat helps them recover. Cactus pads are very moist and very nutritious, so second that as well. Be cautious with vets. They are often as misinformed as pet stores.