tortoise behaving badly

Status
Not open for further replies.

197jock

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

i have a 5 year old tortoise and two 3 year olds , the large one keeps trying to bite them any ideas

M

Maggie Cummings

If you have one that's a bully and causing problems for the other tortoises you pretty much don't have a choice but to separate them. If you can't do that you may have to consider rehoming the bully...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Besides what Maggie said, I'd like to know how big your habitat is? If its too small, the dominant Russian tortoise tries to get the more submissive Russian tortoises to leave his territory (kinda' hard to do when they're enclosed in a tub!!:D) And Russians (Horsefield's) can be brutal when they fight. They are VERY aggressive!!

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

emysemys said:
Besides what Maggie said, I'd like to know how big your habitat is? If its too small, the dominant Russian tortoise tries to get the more submissive Russian tortoises to leave his territory (kinda' hard to do when they're enclosed in a tub!!:D) And Russians (Horsefield's) can be brutal when they fight. They are VERY aggressive!!

Yvonne

OK...How in the heck do you know he's talking about Russians???

M

Maggie Cummings

kyryah said:
LOL, from his introduction thread.

Kristina

Yeah, that's what she said...but I would never have thought of doing that...looking up the previous thread...too much work!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Jock, Back in early November you asked about housing your torts in an aquarium. Then in late December you asked if you could house at least one with you chameleon in his big vivarium.
Please, Please read this site; http://www.russiantortoise.org/care_sheet.htm
It tells you how to take care of your Russians.
Aquariums or vivariums are not good habitats for Russian Torts. First a tort can see out second the air flow is not the best and temp and humidity is hard to regulate. Your aggressive tort could do great harm or even cause death to your other torts. You could get three Rubbermaid totes and housing each one in a seperate tote. I don't mean to sound harsh that is not my intent. But you need to do a little research on these wonderful shelled creatures you have decided to care for and do just that give them the best care you can I know that is what you are striving to do. Russians need room and they are known to climb. If at all possible this spring/summer when the weathers warm get them into an outside enclosure. But while they are inside (winter) Rubbermaid totes are an inexpensive way to house them but they will need heat lamps and uvb if not taken outside daily. Hopefully this will help you some. but I highly recommend you research, research, research.

Status
Not open for further replies.