Can these guys live together?

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix AZ aria
Hello! I'm redoing my outdoor DT enclosure. I currently have it divided into two pieces, one for 3 1 1/2 year old 3" DTs, and the other for one 5-6 year old 5" DT. Can I take out the divider and let them live together? They have not reached maturity yet but I don't know if they will fight or something… The 3 little ones have always lived together and I'm not worried about them fighting. but will the bigger one bully them? He use to live with other torts also, but he is older and might be more territorial… Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I don't know that 2 inches is a big deal. I would put them together multiple times and really watch them. Make your decision based on what you see. Give it some time.
That's what I do.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I'm not sure what DT behaviour is like, but most tortoises don't live well together.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you really, really think you have to have all the tortoises in one habitat, the best way to introduce them is in a totally separate habitat...one that no tortoise has ever claimed as their own territory before. And even then, you may have bullying. You just have to pay strict attention to make sure all of them are eating and getting their fair share of the food and not being picked on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DTs are one of the most territorial and apt to fight species, but they can sometimes get along in the right circumstances. I think following Yvonne's advice will give you the best chance of success, but don't be disappointed if they don't want to be together, and do be prepared to separate them all when the time comes.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes what they said :D
Tortoises don't make friends, and a likely chance is that your little guy will get bullied!