Tortilla my New Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortilla1989

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Just got a new Russian Tortoise her name is Tortilla : ) I have had her for about a month now and I LOVE to watch her eat and her favorite foods are Shredded Carrots and Broccoli! :D Signed up because I have a few questions and my research keeps directing me to this website so I thought I would check it out.
Thinking about planting some edible plants in her cage is regular grass seed harmless?
Any information about Russian Tortoises would be helpful, Thanks!

-New Tort Owner!

Attachments

• IMG_5590.JPG
    IMG_5590.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 31

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Hi again! I already mentioned on another post about the diet needing work. The grass seed should be fine, IF it does not have any kind of chemical coating or in with it. What type of grass is it? Many folks like just buying the cheap bird seed.

S

Svetlana'smom

I just joined this forum for the same reason and it's wonderful. Welcome

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tortilla1989 and welcome to the Forum!

Tortilla1989

5 Year Member
Chicago
Jacqui said:
:D Hi again! I already mentioned on another post about the diet needing work. The grass seed should be fine, IF it does not have any kind of chemical coating or in with it. What type of grass is it? Many folks like just buying the cheap bird seed.

I picked up Grass seed from Home depot (didn't realize how expensive it was!) The brand is called "Vigoro" sun and shade lawn, grass seed mixture

I was hoping to plant some along the edges of her enclosure and hope it would be safe for her to eat if she wants...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) As long as there is nothing that they may have put into the seeds to help them grow, no chemicals, then yes, you can plant it for him to eat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortilla1989 said:
Jacqui said:

I picked up Grass seed from Home depot (didn't realize how expensive it was!) The brand is called "Vigoro" sun and shade lawn, grass seed mixture

I was hoping to plant some along the edges of her enclosure and hope it would be safe for her to eat if she wants...

I would not use hardware store grass seed. It has all sorts of chemical stuff in it. Look for a pasture mix from your local feed store or go to Carolina Biological Supply, or go to Peaceful Valley Farms at http://groworganic.com/
Also remember that while grass is nice for their enclosures, Russians are not big grass eaters. They need broadleaf weeds. Plantain, mallow, filaree, sowthistle, dandelion, etc... Tyler at tortoisesupply.com sells a Testudo seed mix that is absolutely fantastic. I've been using it since last spring and it produces tremendous amounts of just the right foods for a russian. You can also plant grape vines and hibiscus for them and feed out those leaves. Find a friend or neighbor with a mulberry tree and "borrow" some leaves during the warmer months. Good luck!

rich1p

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ.
Hello and welcome Tortilla1989. I'm new to this forum too. Very informative. Great place to ask any question. Everyone seems nice.

Tortilla1989

5 Year Member
Chicago
rich1p said:
Hello and welcome Tortilla1989. I'm new to this forum too. Very informative. Great place to ask any question. Everyone seems nice.

WELCOME! I know this forum is amazing! Everyone is so helpful and friendly and you learn so much! Oh my gosh is your Tort named Pujo? I hear dogs and Tortoises Do NOT mix well, I have a cat Named Misses Pickles and she is very interested in my Tortilla but I certainly don't leave them alone together! hehe
_Tortilla_

Status
Not open for further replies.