Tortellini's Enclosure

hdeaver1

This summer I built an outdoor enclosure for my Leopard tortoise. It was nice to finally have an area for him/her to roam in. Anyways, here are some pictures. I want to add some more plants in there. It seems that whenever I put plants in there they are gone very quickly!! Anyways, comments on what I did well on, and suggestions for improvement are appreciated. I am sad that Tortellini has to come back inside now where he won't have as much space to roam around in, but I am afraid it's getting to cold for him.

Attachments

• outdoor ecnlosure 1.JPG
    outdoor ecnlosure 1.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 60
  • outdoor enclosure 2.JPG
    outdoor enclosure 2.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 58
  • outdoor enclosure 3.JPG
    outdoor enclosure 3.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 55

hdeaver1

Here are the rest of the pictures as it was completed! My husband was a great help throughout!

Attachments

• tortenclosure.JPG
    tortenclosure.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 51
  • tortenclosure1.JPG
    tortenclosure1.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 49
  • tortenclosure2.JPG
    tortenclosure2.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 48
  • tortenclosure3.JPG
    tortenclosure3.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 49
  • tortenclosure4.JPG
    tortenclosure4.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 48

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I looked at your other post, your tortoise is absolutely gorgeous. I think you have a good start on the enclosure. What are the dimensions? Speaking from personal experience, make it as big as you can, or else you will just keep adding to it. :) But that is pretty easy with cinderblocks so it may not be an issue right now. Try putting in the plants and Seadine it before your tortoise gets in there so the plants can grow bigger before he tries to eat them all.make a lot of terrain changes, hills etc., maybe put in flat rocks, large pieces of bark etc. Things to walk on and under and over. I do not have a leopard tortoise so I don't know what they eat, but tortoises don't tend to like herb plants so maybe he will let those get taller. my Russian tortoise doesn't even eat herbs. I'm sure some leopard tortoise experts will be along soon.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks good. I'd add a second row of blocks.

I'd also plant more fountain grass and that sort of stuff for shade and shelter.

Maybe give him a box to hide out in, even if he still sleeps inside.

Whoops. I typed that up before your second post with the additional pics. Looks good.

Just be aware that any plants you buy at a nursery are full of systemic pesticides that can take a year to dissipate.

hdeaver1

I can do more fountain grass. Where can I buy these plants without pesticides? I bought them from Lowes and they said they weren't sprayed, or anything. Was I duped?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your pretty little guy is small enough to be carried off by a bird. I would think of a way to attach pond netting to the top of the cinder block wall and out in the air across over the habitat to maybe a pole or PVC stuck in the ground. Pond netting is black and not an eye-sore.

hdeaver1

We have a top that goes over it with wire mesh attached to boards...but it's not pretty for the pictures of his enclosure!!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Is Tortellini a high white leopard? He's GORGEOUS!
Your enclosure is awesome! I buy my plants from the organic section in the garden.. No chemicals here! :D