Tort Table - winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
I wanted to know what do you poeple do with the tort tables during the winter. I wanted to put plexiglass on top of 3/4 of Hermy's enclosure but I am sure she will be scared to see something on top of her. So I will probably just put the heater in her room at 74-76 degrees and put a red light in her cold side.

Any ideas or advices would be really apreciated :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the plexi-glass is a pretty good idea. It would keep the cold air from rushing into the habitat and keep the warm air inside. If it gets too warm you can just move it aside a little. If the plexi-glass is clear the tortoise won't realize its there, and if it's opaque, it will make the tortoise feel more secure.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa I agree with Yvonne, Plexi-glass should work fine, just watch his temp and humidity levels unitl you know what they are and that they are stable.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Yvonne & Robyn :)

I will put a plexiglass on top of 2/3 of his house (to let the air circulation) or maybe 1/2 of his house. Should I put it on the cold side or the hot side of his enclosure?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa if you are wanting to keep the area warm for winter I would put it on the cold side. You do not want anything between his UVB lamp and him, that would stop the UVB from reaching him. Yes even glass, plexi-glass and screen stop UVB rays.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
Isa if you are wanting to keep the area warm for winter I would put it on the cold side. You do not want anything between his UVB lamp and him, that would stop the UVB from reaching him. Yes even glass, plexi-glass and screen stop UVB rays.

Thanks Robyn

I would have made 2 big holes (where the lights are). Thanks for the advice, I will put it on her cold side :D after that my little Hermy will be all set for winter :)

Status
Not open for further replies.