Tort penis question

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Selma my one year old Greek did a poop today but just before this, his penis came out and shuffled around abit followed by the poop. Does this sound normal?

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Selma my one year old Greek did a poop today but just before this, his penis came out and shuffled around abit followed by the poop. Does this sound normal?
Did his penis go back inside? Torts are weird.. [emoji28] I don't have a tort so wait for someone else to pop in and say if its normal. But I think if it went back inside and wasn't dirty or hurting him it could just be the water was warm and it was comforting him and he was expressing it lol.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Did his penis go back inside? Torts are weird.. [emoji28] I don't have a tort so wait for someone else to pop in and say if its normal. But I think if it went back inside and wasn't dirty or hurting him it could just be the water was warm and it was comforting him and he was expressing it lol.
Yep it went back in like normal:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A bit unusual for a one year old to flash, but not impossible. Are you sure of his age? Did he look like he strained at all pooping? I would just make sure he is well hydrated with an easy for him to get in and out of water bowl, clay plant saucers are the best and do daily to every other day 20-30 minute warm water soaks. Usually they dont flash until around 2 1/3 to 3 years of age. Sometimes if they have a hard time pooping they can flash a bit too. As long as it goes back in it's okay it has come out, as long as things mentioned above are good. If it doesnt go back in it must be kept moist or it will dry up and die off. A sugar water paste applied to it usually will help the swelling go down on one that wont go back it.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
A bit unusual for a one year old to flash, but not impossible. Are you sure of his age? Did he look like he strained at all pooping? I would just make sure he is well hydrated with an easy for him to get in and out of water bowl, clay plant saucers are the best and do daily to every other day 20-30 minute warm water soaks. Usually they dont flash until around 2 1/3 to 3 years of age. Sometimes if they have a hard time pooping they can flash a bit too. As long as it goes back in it's okay it has come out, as long as things mentioned above are good. If it doesnt go back in it must be kept moist or it will dry up and die off. A sugar water paste applied to it usually will help the swelling go down on one that wont go back it.
I have 3 hatchling Greeks from the same clutch, all 2018 babies. 2 of them are males as they have both flashed and you play with their new toys every now and then:D

All three of them have grown like weeds since I got them in August last year, they are all around the 450 gram mark.

I soak daily until they all poop and I place Mazuri in the water dish once a week so they have to gulp down water in order to eat the Mazuri. I use a shallow clay saucer for a water dish.

Is it something to be concerned about if they flash at a young age?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
You have some very Randy tortoises young man!! [emoji23]. It doesn’t sound like you have anything to worry about since everything is normal and he was able to put his toy away... I wonder if yours are flashing early due to the nearness of other tortoises???? I have no idea if this is possible but I’d be curious to know.. in many other species the presence of hormones or testosterone in juveniles is somewhat contagious in groups of same sex... hmmm... I’m going to have to research .. inquiring minds ...[emoji23]

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
You have some very Randy tortoises young man!! [emoji23]. It doesn’t sound like you have anything to worry about since everything is normal and he was able to put his toy away... I wonder if yours are flashing early due to the nearness of other tortoises???? I have no idea if this is possible but I’d be curious to know.. in many other species the presence of hormones or testosterone in juveniles is somewhat contagious in groups of same sex... hmmm... I’m going to have to research .. inquiring minds ...[emoji23]
Heck yes I'm very interested in the topic too. It sounds plausible that the other males being around is making his testosterone go nuts and hes finding his new toy earlier

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Thank you for your reassurance, I do worry about my torts:)

I think you maybe right about it being some what contagious, the enclosures are quite close to each other so they most likely can smell each other.

You know ever since Patty discovered his new toy, he’s a lot bolder and braver than he used to be.

The females don’t seem bothered, Margo couldn’t care less, and Marge..... still completely mad as always:D

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I've seen my Redfoot Murphy do this. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
With the care you mentioned about soaking etc, I wouldn't worry about it. It isn't usual that young, but like I said, not impossible.

Redwood City, CA, United States
Bahahaaaa!!! Mine does that! I was always informed that you can't sex a tort(mines a sulcata) until about 4 or 5 years old...so I didn't know if I had a Dartanian or a DartANNIEn! Imagine my surprise when at 3 years old he was having what must have been the most delicious soak in the warm bathtub when all of a sudden...this HUGE INTESTINE WITH A UFO ATTACHED TO THE END CAME OUT! I panicked!! I swear I thought his guts were coming out...you know, like the worlds biggest hemorrhoid! I've never seen anything so bizarre in my life! But quite relieved(probably much to his disappointment when i pulled him out of his pleasure bath)and it went back in. Right now at 5 years old he still does it a good 40 to 50 percent of the time and i now rely on that tell tale sign that it's time for Potty's! We are urban dwellers and I often tell people he's housebroken when in fact it's ME who's housebroken! Lol....just learning his mannerisms after all these years is all. Not to worry! We went to the beach a couple weeks ago as his favorite destination and he was so happy he was dragging his wee wee all thru the warm sand. God I love him! Aren't they great?!! Now if I can just convince him that my motorcycle helmet is NOT his NEW GIRLFRIEND

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Bahahaaaa!!! Mine does that! I was always informed that you can't sex a tort(mines a sulcata) until about 4 or 5 years old...so I didn't know if I had a Dartanian or a DartANNIEn! Imagine my surprise when at 3 years old he was having what must have been the most delicious soak in the warm bathtub when all of a sudden...this HUGE INTESTINE WITH A UFO ATTACHED TO THE END CAME OUT! I panicked!! I swear I thought his guts were coming out...you know, like the worlds biggest hemorrhoid! I've never seen anything so bizarre in my life! But quite relieved(probably much to his disappointment when i pulled him out of his pleasure bath)and it went back in. Right now at 5 years old he still does it a good 40 to 50 percent of the time and i now rely on that tell tale sign that it's time for Potty's! We are urban dwellers and I often tell people he's housebroken when in fact it's ME who's housebroken! Lol....just learning his mannerisms after all these years is all. Not to worry! We went to the beach a couple weeks ago as his favorite destination and he was so happy he was dragging his wee wee all thru the warm sand. God I love him! Aren't they great?!! Now if I can just convince him that my motorcycle helmet is NOT his NEW GIRLFRIEND
“A intestine with a UFO attached to it”. That is a perfect description:D