Tort has not grown

Status
Not open for further replies.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Hi everyone! I haven't been on in quite awhile due to a new work schedule and nothing really new yo speak of about Rascal. He's still cute as ever and is growing like a weed (post is about a friends desert tort). He is already super social and lets me rub his chin! He is now officially a yearling and not a hatchling (my little baby is growing up! lol) He loves his new table and comes running every morning for his warm water "squirt down". We love him to death.

Now for the ca desert tort that wont grow. some of you may remember a few posts i had about my friends torts that are not being taken care of. They have 3 of them in a 40 gallon tank. Leave them in a dark hallway and the only source of heat was a small heat rock, no UV and the only water was a small ceramic bowl with a rock by it. The large tort can barely reach and the little ones just couldn't.....ALL horrible things and they still didnt really care when I told them exactly all they needed. The only thing they got right was the food. They won't give them to me either. So all i can do is spend my own money, which I really do not have, and I got them a shallow water dish (they soaked literally for 6 hours straight), a UV bulb a better hide that can be used for a humid hide as well as soon as i can afford the heat bulb and lamp. The larger tort is extremely pyramided as well.

The tiny tort was born in the same month as mine a little over a year ago and has not grown even a ml. It has a strong appetite and thirst and can still get around but it's hatch mate has grown in the same conditions. What can be causing this??

I can get pics up next week sometime. thanks so much for any help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Severe chronic dehydration. Happens in hatchling sulcatas all the time.

I'd have a hard time being "friends" with someone who willfully and knowingly neglects and abuses their animals. Withholding the basic necessities of life is abuse. It one thing to be ignorant. We were all ignorant of tortoise needs at one time. Its another thing entirely to ignore new info when it can clearly be seen that something is wrong. I'd be happy to call these people for you. I'll even be polite and diplomatic about it.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
too bad you cant report them.. housing endangered species, probably without proper permits, but definately without proper care..
Keep doing what you can for them... they are depending on you....
maybe they will 'get out and run away' you/we can only hope....

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
I wish I could report them without losing the only income I have right now b/c I babysit over there 3 days a week. But while I'm there I spoil the little guys as much as I can. It's now warm enough to go outside for most of the day so I did what I could for under 5 bucks and made this for them (pics). You can see how tiny the little one is and it's over a year old. The med. sized one and the tiny one and my Rascal were hatchmates. :( I'm giving the tiny one meds right now for an eye infection too.

What they ave lived in their whole lives.
100_5416.jpg

What I made for them for outside.
100_5410.jpg

100_5412.jpg

Click on Picture for Video:

My Rascal at home enjoying his "Sunning Room" complete with underground "Cool" hide. :)

100_5398.jpg

100_5402.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good for you, Shannon, for trying to do the best for those tortoises. Quite often people learn by what they see, and you are a shining example of how to care properly for baby desert tortoises. I hope they can learn from you. Incidentally, that coil bulb in their habitat has got to go.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
is the coil bulb better then no uv at all? Or just get it out immediately? They would constantly be in the dark without it. :/ I'm saving change to get them some proper heating/uv right now but it will take awhile...if anyone is in AZ and would like to donate old stuff no longer being used I will gladly pick it up!! Thanks for any help. Any thoughts on why the little guy won't grow??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The little one isn't growing because of all of the problems you pointed out. Dehydration, lack of light and proper heat, etc...

Two problems with the coil bulb. #1. They don't do anything but light up the enclosure in my opinion. In other words they aren't giving the tort the needed UV even though that's what the package says. #2. They can potentially do harm buy blinding the torts. The mfgs claim to have fixed this problem, but I'd never put one over any of my animals.

Are they getting some sunshine a couple of times a week? If so, then you'd be better off placing a regular incandescent flood or spot bulb in there, so they can at least bask.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
Now that it is warming up they will be getting outside at least 3 days a week for about 4-6 hours. I will change out the bulb as soon as I get there today. Thanks for the tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.