Mistreated Torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
So the people I recieved Rascal from are really really close family friends and after learning the proper ways of caring for Rascal I've tried giving them some advice on what would be better for theirs and they just smile and nod it off. They have 3 DT's in a 29 gallon tall tank, the only heat they have is a heat rock that the larger tort uses and does not share. There is zero UV for them also. The food is actually okay, but I'm concerned the little ones are not getting enough. The larger one is about palm sized and is showing some bad pyramiding and the youngest one is 4 months older then Rascal and has not grown at all, he's half Rascals size. I've offered to take them in and they say no, they are fine, blah blah blah.....i love them like my own parents but what do you do when you feel like they may be killing these wonderful little creatures and refuse all advice?? I don't even go over there anymore b/c of this and I miss them. :/

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
RascalDesertTort said:
So the people I recieved Rascal from are really really close family friends and after learning the proper ways of caring for Rascal I've tried giving them some advice on what would be better for theirs and they just smile and nod it off. They have 3 DT's in a 29 gallon tall tank, the only heat they have is a heat rock that the larger tort uses and does not share. There is zero UV for them also. The food is actually okay, but I'm concerned the little ones are not getting enough. The larger one is about palm sized and is showing some bad pyramiding and the youngest one is 4 months older then Rascal and has not grown at all, he's half Rascals size. I've offered to take them in and they say no, they are fine, blah blah blah.....i love them like my own parents but what do you do when you feel like they may be killing these wonderful little creatures and refuse all advice?? I don't even go over there anymore b/c of this and I miss them. :/

Yeesh that would be a toughy to decide what to do. I guess if I was persistant in telling them they need to fix this and this, and they still arn't showing progress, I might warn them once, that if thing's arn't be fixed, I would let the local animal control/SPCA know.

I would still try and be friends with them, but if they can't properly take care of them, it doesn't make them any better than a stranger I would definitely let the local animal control know about, just because I know them.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well if you are in california, uinder california law all CDT are the property of the state of california, you could prob get the state fish and wildlife involved. they might connfiscate them and give them to the CTTC and they could find proper homes for them.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
We are in AZ, and if I did call and they took them, this family would just get more from their breeder that they know. And i think the aspca couldn't do anything b/c they ARE being cared for....just the ultimate minimum. I'm lost here. :/

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Shelly said:
Steal them.

Ha ha! I've thought about it before! I have a DT whose sibling is in the care of another friend. Her care is just awful. I try to do what I can for her. Like when I pick hibiscus or rose pedals I give some to her to take home. When I order seeds, I order her a packet too. I show her pictures of my DTs basking in real sunshine and grazing on grasses. She sees what I'm doing and copies some of it. These things have helped some - not totally - but the less I try to tell her what to do, the more agreeable she is to some changes.

M

Maggie Cummings

If you turn them into Animal Control and Animal Control takes them they euthanize the animals. So IMHO you don't want to turn them in. But you do want to print out a care sheet with pictures and come right out and tell them that they are raising unhealthy animals and they need to change how they care for their animals. Offer to help them set the tortoises up correctly. But be strong and use strong language with them. Be pushy you are trying to save the life's of those tortoises...

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
You are right. I'll just have to be more firm and show them the difference in our torts. I'll hope for the best. Maybe I'll make them a tort table and just show up with it. :) Thanks everyone!!

maggie3fan said:
If you turn them into Animal Control and Animal Control takes them they euthanize the animals. So IMHO you don't want to turn them in. But you do want to print out a care sheet with pictures and come right out and tell them that they are raising unhealthy animals and they need to change how they care for their animals. Offer to help them set the tortoises up correctly. But be strong and use strong language with them. Be pushy you are trying to save the life's of those tortoises...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
It is an Endangered species.. and if they cant care for them properly, then they need to give them to someone who will.. Care sheet, talking, showing.. whatever it will take...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Maybe if you get some pictures of torts that have been given the wrong care and show them what happens, they will listen to you. I would just make a tort table (cheap book case) get all the lights (big expense..but maybe they will pay you for them) and bring them over there and set it up yourself.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
it just kills me b/c they have the perfect (with a small amount if TLC) outdoor spot for them and they dont utilize it b/c the grandkids cant see them in it. they "like" the tank b/c it's inside and they can "enjoy" them more...ugh!!

Status
Not open for further replies.