tort growing to fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea UK
I think one on my greeks is gaining weight much too fast,when i bought him in Sept 2012 he was 4.5 cm and 18 gms i weighed him today and hes
9.5 cm and 210gms.He's only ever been fed normal weeds like dandelions,plantain and all that kind,I did try him with mazuri when i first got him but he didn't like it.He's nearly the same size as my 5y old Russian.Any tips on how to slow his growth,he's out in his enclosure in the days and everything is growing in there.

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
There's no problem growing like that, I wouldn't change anything your doing

0.3.0 sulcata tortoise
(Manavi, aspen, Bronx)
1.0.0 Russian tortoise
(Ivan)
1 Great Dane
(Koko)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The most likely reason that your Greek tortoise has doubled in size in less than a year is due to being awake and active the entire time. In the wild they would have bromated (hibernated) for almost that entire time and not have grown except when awake and active. It is common with tortoise raised in captivity. It is not necessarily a good thing, but to some degree unavoidable unless you either choose to brumate your tortoises during the time that they would be doing so in the wild. The alternative while they're active is to more closely monitor their diet in both content and quantity. Accelerated growth can be an issue and cause the nails, beak, carapace and plastron to grow more rapidly than the soft body parts. In severe cases it can also cause permanent growth deformities.
So growing a tortoise fast really isn't ideal.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have a three toed box turtle that was 40 grams in May of 2012. Now, in May of 2013, he/she is 358 grams. The fast growth worries me as well. But the growth is even and smooth so I don't know what I could change.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
GBtortoises said:
The most likely reason that your Greek tortoise has doubled in size in less than a year is due to being awake and active the entire time. In the wild they would have bromated (hibernated) for almost that entire time and not have grown except when awake and active. It is common with tortoise raised in captivity. It is not necessarily a good thing, but to some degree unavoidable unless you either choose to brumate your tortoises during the time that they would be doing so in the wild. The alternative while they're active is to more closely monitor their diet in both content and quantity. Accelerated growth can be an issue and cause the nails, beak, carapace and plastron to grow more rapidly than the soft body parts. In severe cases it can also cause permanent growth deformities.
Would it be ok if i remove the plants out of his enclosure,then when i feed him mix some iceburg lettuce in with it,sort of a tort diet

Artemis the Tortoise said:
Can I see a picture of your russian

The first pic is the russian

537349_10151404713207044_421253148_n.jpg

This is the greek the day i had him (he's the 1 on the right)

528486_10151173497077044_1237336786_n.jpg

and this 1 was taken today

988747_10151621561737044_599174388_n.jpg

The first pic is the russian

537349_10151404713207044_421253148_n.jpg

This is the greek the day i had him (he's the 1 on the right)

and this 1 was taken today

[/URL]

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
Artemis the Tortoise said:
Can I see a picture of your russian

Artemis' Mommy[HERB][TULIP][TURTLE][TULIP][HERB]

The first pic is of my Russian
560415_10151444754747044_310265789_n.jpg
[/URL]

This 1 are my Greeks the day i bought them(the big 1 is on the right)
[/URL][/url]

and this was taken today
[/URL][/url]

GBtortoises said:
Would it help if i removed the plants out of his enclosure,then when i feed him mix some iceburg lettuce in with his food.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Are they eating the plants in the enclosure? That alone should not be an issue unless they're consuming large amounts of the plants weekly in addition to their regular diet. By feeding iceburg lettuce you'd simply be replacing nutritional food with a non-nutritional filler but still feeding the same volume of food. It's not the nutrition that should be reduced but instead possibly the volume. A lesser amount of nutritional food is much better than a large volume of non-nutritional food. It's not just diet that causes a tortoise to grow rapidly, but a combination of diet, excessive heat, low activity level, inadequate humidity level and some other more minor factors. It would help to know what you day, night & basking temperatures are; the humidity level day & night; general diet including any supplemental vitamins; drinking frequency and enclosure size. It's tough to determine much of anything without knowing the type of captive environment that a tortoise is being maintained in.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
Basking temp is 95-98 cooler side 75-80,humidity is usually in the high 50s,night time temp is around 65,his indoor enclosure is 3'x4',but he's in his outside enclosure all day,which is about 20'x10' and i bring him in at night.He seems to be eating all day,i don't feed him so much now as what i give him is growing in his enclosure anyway,i soak him every day and give him some cucumber once or twice a week,he just seems to be wandering around eating all day. My other Greek is the same age and he's much smaller.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The temperatures, humidity and enclosure all sound great. You can probably attribute the fast growth to not being brumated, which is common in captivity, as well as a simple "growth spurt", which is also common. Tortoises of the same age will often grow at very different rates even when kept under identical conditions. Quite often with Testudo graeca & hermanni subspecies (but not always), a male will grow more rapidly than a female of the same age. This is not always true, but it does happen that way frequently. You may want to monitor the smaller tortoises eating habits if it has to compete with the larger one for the same food. The smaller tortoise may have a difficult time getting all the food it needs with the larger tortoise present.
I'm curious-why the weekly cucumber? It has almost no nutritional value and is comprised mainly of water filled cells. There are many other vegetables that are more beneficial and better for them.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: tort growing to fast

GBtortoises said:
The temperatures, humidity and enclosure all sound great. You can probably attribute the fast growth to not being brumated, which is common in captivity, as well as a simple "growth spurt", which is also common. Tortoises of the same age will often grow at very different rates even when kept under identical conditions. Quite often with Testudo graeca & hermanni subspecies (but not always), a male will grow more rapidly than a female of the same age. This is not always true, but it does happen that way frequently. You may want to monitor the smaller tortoises eating habits if it has to compete with the larger one for the same food. The smaller tortoise may have a difficult time getting all the food it needs with the larger tortoise present.
I'm curious-why the weekly cucumber? It has almost no nutritional value and is comprised mainly of water filled cells. There are many other vegetables that are more beneficial and better for them.

I cant answer for anyone else, but I feed cukes because of their cleansing and anti-inflammatory properties.

Ann from CT

Status
Not open for further replies.