Torrie Q&A

Digger&Blinky

Hello, I have two male Russian torties they are roughly 4 years old and I keep them together in a large enclosure. I heard your not meant to keep two Russian tortoises together but they don't seem to fight and are very friendly. I haven't hibernated them yet because I don't really know how so they have stayed inside in the winter. Their temps are 23-26°c and they have a red heat lamp and a long UV light. They normal have these vegetable and dandelion chunks which u add water to rommaine lettuce and cress.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They need a bigger diet and separate enclosure. They will fight as you can't give them a big enough enclosure inside. When they do fight it won't end good for one of them. They are very scrappy aggressive little buggers. Don't wait until it's too late. The veteran tortoise owners on here I am pretty sure knows what they are talking about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I have two male Russian torties they are roughly 4 years old and I keep them together in a large enclosure. I heard your not meant to keep two Russian tortoises together but they don't seem to fight and are very friendly. I haven't hibernated them yet because I don't really know how so they have stayed inside in the winter. Their temps are 23-26°c and they have a red heat lamp and a long UV light. They normal have these vegetable and dandelion chunks which u add water to rommaine lettuce and cress.

You are making several mistakes there and the tortoises deserve better. You are lucky that you have not had a major problem there, but that doesn't mean you aren't headed for disaster. I'm going to assume you posted this info because you want tips and advice to improve the situation, so here goes:
1. No red bulbs. They see color better than we do, so red bulbs mess with their heads and throw off their circadian rhythms. Use a CHE or RHP if you need night heat, and control it with a thermostat.
2. Tortoises should not live as pairs. If you asked me for the single worst species to keep as a pair, I would say russians (Horsfields). Because they are not actively biting or attacking each other does not mean that you don't have a problem. Because they are both still alive does not mean that you don't have a problem. They need to be separated. Most things that people see as "friendly" are actually signs of tortoise aggression. Following, snuggling, sleeping face to face, eating from the same food plate at the same time, sitting on the food, etc… Please read these for more info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bad-day-for-baby.114328/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
3. You don't' have to hibernate them, but if you want to, we will help you do it right. I prefer to hibernate al of my temperate species. It is what they are physically and mentally programmed to do.
4. Your temps are fine, except that they need a basking area that is 36-37.
5. Your diet needs improvement. Rehydrated prepared "chunks", romaine and cress, is a poor diet. They need a wide variety of broadleaf weeds and leaves. I typed this for sulcatas, but just skip the text and scroll down to the list of good foods: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Please give these a read for more tips and info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

The correct info and help is here. You just have to be willing to listen.

Digger&Blinky

My mum doesn't want to buy another enclosure or buy different foods she kinda thinks they are like dogs and doesn't understand they are tropical species

Digger&Blinky

Hellooo I have two Russian torts that are looking for a wider variety of foods. Do you know any foods that are available in my garden or in stores for ma torties.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's a nice list of food for you to choose from:

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My mum doesn't want to buy another enclosure or buy different foods she kinda thinks they are like dogs and doesn't understand they are tropical species

You're at your mum's mercy, but hopefully, you can turn her way of thinking around. Try to figure out a way to get another enclosure for your tortoises. It doesn't have to cost a lot. Some folks buy a used book case and take out the shelves, lay it on its back, line it with plastic and add all the tortoise stuff. Cheap and easy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Russians are not a tropical species. They are a temperate species.

If Mum won't let you, or help you, house and feed them correctly, then its time to give them to someone who can meet the needs of these tortoises properly. We can make food suggestions for you, but these two tortoises should not be living together. You might need to give one of them way to someone who will give it its own large enclosure and proper conditions. I don't say these things to sound mean, but I have the best interest of the tortoises in mind.

The best foods are free. Grow your own food or find it elsewhere.