Too Sleepy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZHermans

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Just wondering... My little Hermanns seems to sleep an awful lot! He is always up in the morning walking around a bit. I feed him and he will stay under the heat for a bit, will walk around some then bury himself and he can be buried, sleeping for most of the day. Sometimes I won't see him get up again before night. He just seems very lazy. Is this normal behavior? Other than that he seems fine. Loves to eat. Just wondering if it is something I should be concerned with.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
It is normal and... not.
As a reaction, is normal- they do that in their habitat when drought/heat occur, but their habitat is always connected to a forest- so they can retreat in it. Is not normal to do that on a regular basis, it is a Horsfield or Graeca regime. He could use more shaded areas than I suppose you have- and if in AZ, it's way too hot for him, and drought is the rule there.
Don't get me wrong, he's healthy, and apparently it masters the art of survival in AZ (very different from his home back in the Balkans/North Mediteranean). But it's kinda on survival mode for too long, and he should have a more humid, shaded area to spend some more time eating than he does now. Be sure he has ALWAYS water at his disposal. Feed him the weeds you usually fed him, and a prickly pear pad (all spines and glochids removed) every 4 days- it would not be bad if daily, but it generates diarrhoea; it has lots of calcium and water, very good as supplement.

Is it a Hermanni or a Boettgeri? I didn't get it.

EDIT: just read about your temperatures. it's crazy... And that it's about a small one. Those bugs usually hide a lot, but again, lots of shade could use. You can rarely see a small one in the open from end May- due to overheating and also preadtion danger too.
Not the best tortoise for your area... where are you located?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Build it a cave out of a limestone slab, resting on a couple other rocks, built into a dirt pile, and put a layer of straw or something similar in the bottom...spray the cave every morning and evening and your pet will have a nice humid sleeping area.

a4dc9165-f0b9-4dba-bd3d-8f579d43a152

As soon as it cools off, he/she'll become more active during the day. My 4, these days, wake up about sunrise (6:30 or so, around here), and by the time I get to them, around 7am, they're waiting at their feeding rock to chow down...once the sun is up in the sky, they're back in the "cave" until about 5pm, when there's a shadow on their water dish (a round bar tray of 14" X 2"), at which point they sit in the water until I bring them their evening meal, then it's back into the "cave" by 8pm or so. By mid-September, they'll be out wandering the enclosure until about noon and then back out by 3pm until dusk again.

Status
Not open for further replies.