Too much of soil getting mixed with food.

pinnie

Location (City and/or State)
India
Hi there
My Tojo is a baby..must be 3-4 mnths old. I have it for a month and 20 days now.
I kept it on a towel for a couple of weeks. And just today got him cocopeat bedding.
My concern is his water and food plate getting mixed with soil. Isn't it too much of soil intake for my lil one.?

Attachments

• 17120770097345305779285189702156.jpg
    17120770097345305779285189702156.jpg
    873.1 KB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't like the stringy stuff in it. If eaten can be a entanglement inside or wrap around limbs
Pat it down tight and put some orchid or fir bark on top

pinnie

India
U mean I cover this soil with layer of bark. Gotcha. Any othr options other than bark?
Wont bark hurt the baby tort? It's just 3.5 inches.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I would remove the soil and only use bark. Even with bark top the soil will come through and you have same mess and hassle. I only use orchid bark it lasts and speedy loves it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would remove the soil and only use bark. Even with bark top the soil will come through and you have same mess and hassle. I only use orchid bark it lasts and speedy loves it.
Actually it really doesn't. I have used it many times years ago. If the coir/peat moss is packed and enough of a top layer of the bark is placed over it, it is actually great way to to get humidity with top layer being dryer and keeping the coir/peat from making a mess.

pinnie

India
I ll change my set up as soon as I get my hands on orchid bark...I ll see how my Tojo likes it. Shall update soon. Thank you for your input.