Too much light?

Adam S

5 Year Member
Hi,

I'm running a Powersun 100 w about 12 inches above substrate and 2 48" 10.0 reptisun about 14" above substrate. Is this too much? The torts are outside about 4-5 months of the year.

Thanks

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I think it depends if you have any type of cover in the enclosure, like plants etc. What kind of hides do you have?

Adam S

5 Year Member
I have spider plants which offer zero coverage but have multiple dark hides available

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I personally would not waist that much UVB. The PowerSun is enough UVB. Save the others and replace with a regular flourescent. Then in 8-12 months replace the PowerSun UVB with one of the reptisun.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really doubt that much UVB is necessary.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,

I'm running a Powersun 100 w about 12 inches above substrate and 2 48" 10.0 reptisun about 14" above substrate. Is this too much? The torts are outside about 4-5 months of the year.

Thanks

At 14" the 48" tubes aren't doing much for UV. They do make things look nice and bright though.

You need to check the height of the Powersun with your thermometer. 12" seems close, but what is the temperature under it?

As long as the tortoise has hides, your three bulbs are still much dimmer than real sunlight.

Adam S

5 Year Member
12" is to the start of the deep dome fixture the bulb is a bit more recessed. The temp right under the light is 102 with a temp gun

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
12" is to the start of the deep dome fixture the bulb is a bit more recessed. The temp right under the light is 102 with a temp gun

That temp is ok, but running the MVB in a deep dome will shorten its life span.

Adam S

5 Year Member
Ok glad I asked. Definitely learned a few things. What is the recommended distance the reptisun tubes need to be from the tortoises shell to be effective? Thanks for the reply's.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok glad I asked. Definitely learned a few things. What is the recommended distance the reptisun tubes need to be from the tortoises shell to be effective? Thanks for the reply's.

Its just a guess without a meter, but in my enclosures a regal 10.0 type tube needs to be 10-12" away to give the tortoises a little UV. Even at that distance I only get a reading of 1.1 on my meter. By contrast, an Arcadia 12% HO tube gives me a reading of 6.9 at 20". The Arcadia tubes are so strong that I only run them for 3-4 hours mid day. I run the 10.0 bulbs 12 hours a day.