Too much basking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
My 6 mo old RT hatchling likes to spend hours sleeping near his basking area. He digs in a little bit but most of his body is exposed. The temp in this area is low 90s. His shell temp is low 90s too. Is this ok or is my little guy doing something he shouldn't be?

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is the rest of his enclosure warm enough? Be sure to soak him every day. I would be afraid of dehidration. See what others say.

J REED

5 Year Member
My 2 mth old sully does this as well.He has a special corner on the basking side where its about 87-90°..He gets up about every hour, walks to his food dish on opposite side, eats , then walks through his water dish across his basking rock and back to his corner..

Jeremy

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Excessive basking can be a sign that the rest of the enclosure is too cold. What are the other temps?

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
The enclosure is definitely not too cold, no colder than mid70s. I soak him daily.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like normal thermoregulation to me. Does he eat well? He needs all the heat to digest his food.

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
He just got over a course of treatment for flagellates and has been eating a lot more than he had been. I guess he's heating up to digest all that food he's gobong down. Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.