Too many hatchlings...

ComeNT8kIt

Location (City and/or State)
Houston/Tx
It is a supply and demand issue. When I started keeping turtles I got one fertile egg from a female that was pregnant when I got her. I called a friend that had turtles and he came by and took it home. Win-Win. This year I have 10 turtles hatching and no homes for them. I may sell them to a wholesaler. I do not like to do that because who knows the level of care they will receive?
I am not going to criticize someone who wants to breed their turtles, but some years I do not put the eggs in the incubator. It takes me hours and a bunch of hassle to incubate, rear babies, advertise and ship babies. It is usually not worth the effort if they do not sell before the weather starts to cool and I have to move them inside every night.

Yeah you’re right I was kind of speaking in jest. That aspect of the trade is a huge obstacle. Especially for people who still have lives outside of those animals. Like you said I think for your average collector it may not be worth it.

nightoff

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Florida
I feel like reading through this thread I witnessed a tortoise enthusiast develop into a full breeder. It was an emotional journey. But the babies are adorable so why not keep em coming and find some good homes on the forum. Who doesn’t love a lil redfoot

Thank you so much for the compliments. I have learned quite a lot since I acquired my female back in 2011. This forum has been my primary source of information, so kudos to the senior members that make sure everyone is getting good information. I accidentally became a breeder but have since rehomed my male to ZEROPILOT so that’s no longer in the cards.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I’ve always told my wife that’s the reason I’d never breed. I’d have a really hard time letting them go to people I don’t know.
That's the same issue I have.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I’ve always told my wife that’s the reason I’d never breed. I’d have a really hard time letting them go to people I don’t know.
It's tougher than some folks might imagine.
I suppose you could demand a premium price to weed out the less than serious?
Like at least $150 per baby.
(They are between $40 and $125 here)

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
My logic:

People that want to buy a tortoise, of a common species like this, will buy one whether you breed them or not. They are always available, and thus the size of the market is controlled by demand, not supply (it is the opposite for rare species). Other breeders will simply increase production to compensate for your choice.

Abstaining from breeding is not ultimately protecting tortoises from poor care, they just won’t be your tortoises. I think it is better that more of us breed and distribute hatchlings directly. This way, you have an opportunity to make a difference, by educating a customer on proper care, and offsetting a sale that might otherwise go to a middleman, pet shop, or breeder spreading bad information.

Steve

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My logic:

People that want to buy a tortoise, of a common species like this, will buy one whether you breed them or not. They are always available, and thus the size of the market is controlled by demand, not supply (it is the opposite for rare species). Other breeders will simply increase production to compensate for your choice.

Abstaining from breeding is not ultimately protecting tortoises from poor care, they just won’t be your tortoises. I think it is better that more of us breed and distribute hatchlings directly. This way, you have an opportunity to make a difference, by educating a customer on proper care, and offsetting a sale that might otherwise go to a middleman, pet shop, or breeder spreading bad information.

Steve
My primary concern is in protecting the tortoises brought into this world by my own intervention.
I'm not even trying to stop breeding.
I've just stopped my own from breeding.
My issues aren't from anyone selling tortoises. Just my own.
Maybe my sense of responsibility is a little too much?
I'd probably agree.
South Florida is absolutely crawling with Redfoot tortoises.
I get a good deal of rescues and I've seen a lot of avoidable suffering and sickness. I don't want to subject any animal that I have "made" to any of that.