Broken lower beak

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Hello Forum,

It’s been quite a while since I have been on.
Until recently Benny, my six year old leopard tortoise has been doing very well.
Last summer we built him a 24’x18’ outdoor summer enclosure which he has enjoyed for two entire summers. This year however I noticed some odd behaviour, and that after a day outside Benny was hiding his head. The next day I noticed his mouth looked funny. It took a couple days of negotiations to get him to stop hiding and let me see his face. He’s missing the bottom hook of his beak! There’s a tiny hole into his mouth and the entire front hook of his beak is gone!
Has anyone seen this in their tortoise before? Is he going to be ok? He’s drinking and eating, I have been cutting up food very tiny and giving him mush on his slate since seeing the issue. Will a beak damaged like this grow back?
I will try and get pictures, but my sweet boy is still a bit skittish since this happened and although he comes out for scratches with gentle encouragement, he immediately hides if I bring up my camera.

lilly_sand99

Location (City and/or State)
Marshalltown IA
I read another forum where their hatchlings lower jar fell off, after some time it came back, it was just a slow process from my understanding

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Sorry for not making it all one response. But, here is that thread. I wish you the best of luck!!

Thank you for the link. I read it all and feel better that Benny has “shed” his overgrown bottom beak. Other than the missing beak he appears to have no other issues and the fact he is still eating and drinking makes me feel significantly better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I would like to see a picture of the beak, please.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
IMG_1535674336.883926.jpg
Just as I took the picture he yawned.

IMG_1535674435.455950.jpg
But he is eating - a lot! So I’m fairly sure we are on our way to a full recovery.

IMG_1535674509.790015.jpg
Since noticing the issue I have gone back to the basics of babying him with carrot purée soaked mazuri, stonecrop, hens, dandelion leaves, hibiscus flowers and a cactus pad. All that’s the goop that looks like diaper fill. I fill the ice tray with the mazuri, soak it in carrot purée, then I add the mush and voila, instant edibles that are easy to yam into his injured mouth and full of all the best goodies and vitamins my shellbaby needs. He is nuts for it too!