Todays Backyard Pic.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Wow! He's smiling because he's about to bite off the painted's head!!! Yipes!

Last edited:

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
There are 2 snappers in the pond with all the other local turtles, the other turtle in the pic actually has a name, Sparky, He is a 14 year old male red belly, that is still people friendly. Neither snapper has a name or has ever shown any aggression towards their pond mates. They really are misunderstood, I'm not saying they are never nasty, but usually if well fed, not towards other turtles or when they are completely submerged in water.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Love the Red Belly! Is that nelsoni?
I don't believe so, It is what is very common here which I thought was rubriventris , the northerns,.. I have 3 of Sparky's offspring, all male, very colorful 7 years old if you know anyone that would want 1 or 3 maybe.:) I hatched Sparky and several of his clutch mates from eggs laid on the shoulder of a road in Waldorf MD. He was the only one we kept. My wife raised him in her office until he got to big for any tank she had room for there.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
Awesome picture! He may be innocent, but he sure does look mischievous with that grinning beak. There's a big snapper in a local pond where I go fishing often, and he never fails to show up hoping a small sunfish may get too close.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
I don't believe so, It is what is very common here which I thought was rubriventris , the northerns,.. I have 3 of Sparky's offspring, all male, very colorful 7 years old if you know anyone that would want 1 or 3 maybe.:) I hatched Sparky and several of his clutch mates from eggs laid on the shoulder of a road in Waldorf MD. He was the only one we kept. My wife raised him in her office until he got to big for any tank she had room for there.

Yes it's rubriventris. I have also one of them my second turtle :D she was sold as scripta scripta...