ID help needed?

allkreatures

This is a wild Turtle, I do have other pics but all are iffy, I know common snappers are smooth shelled and I am in NYS where there are no alligator snappers...this guy is very big, this is just a shell shot. (and one in water)Can anyone tell me what he might be? thanks!

snapperdino.jpg alligator.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Hard to say from those shots, however, I THINK the alligator snapper has three distinct ridges on his carapace. This looks like it may just be dirt or algae, so I'm going to guess common snapper.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Chelydra serpentina serpentina - Common snapper. They get VERY large, especially the females.

Berkeley

Yep, it is a common snapper.
Cool pics! Makes it look kind of like a sea monster! :)

--Berkeley

allkreatures

Thanks all, I have one more shot, the reason i have to not go with algae/dirt is the pattern stays the same all the time, if you have the ability to zoom in further please do!, I have been trying to get a shot of him(her) for a couple years, out of water or anything---but altho I have a ton of pics. i was concentrating on these because the shell is just so odd.?---heres just one more.......

Attachments

• turtleback.jpg
    turtleback.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 24

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I will stay with the original opinions of common snapping turtle. No other turtle has such a pronounced, bulging, jaw muscularture that is so much wider than the eye spacing. You can see that in the top picture. They do get algae growth on their shells that can become quite rough. And that algae growth will remain with them until they shed and would not change.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Really neat thread- I learned a lot from reading it! :p