To fat? Overfeed? Help

oliviaTORTOISE

5 Year Member
This is my Russian tortoise. I feed her every day a handful of a variety of greens like arugula lettuce and a few other baby lettuces. I was on a website and someone had stated that you should only feed a tortoise 3-4 times a week... I got really worried when I figured out the picture of the flabby tortoise looked like mine!?!? Is my tortoise over weight? Am I feeding her too much??!?! Here are some pictures to help! :) thanks so much! ImageUploadedByTortForum1386539699.773716.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386539712.075207.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386539723.558599.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1386539733.159071.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

edwardbo

5 Year Member
I don't know ,looks good to me,I can't subscribe to the theory that turtles are in a state of starvation in nature ,maybe some lean times ,....does it have puffy skin that pokes out when she's pulled in ? Does any body know what puffy skin means? Was there an old post on puffy skin?....if seen boxies that could not retract into their shells because of too much of "the good life".

Looked at pics again,not fat ,but do all Russians look like they need a good facial ;,peal,dermabrasion and a good night cream?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Your tort is not flabby nor fat....daily food offerings are fine---some folks even offer food am and pm....

The species of tort you have there is a species that would normally brumate...and species that brumate have a tendency to scarf down all food placed in front of them and then for part of the year the tort will slow down on eating naturally....

So I would offer food business as usual :D

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Healthy looking tort [TURTLE] ... My Russians eat daily Am/Pm but there are days when they rest for certain periods and I conserve food that way ... Mazuri twice a week, Timothy hay staple diet so always available... [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't read or listen to other sites. Most are not good or updated. Tortoises would eat every day in the wild, at least if they found something to eat. Why should we deprive them of this, hmmm.

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
I think your tortoise is beautiful! Doesn't look over weight at all. Make sure you weigh her frequently though if it is something you are paranoid about. Sometimes tortoises (and this is gross) just kind of shovel everything down at once and then go back to regular habits in a couple days. Also, if your enclosure is to small or if there is nothing to climb on, your tortoise could be in danger of not getting enough exercise. Hope I helped!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I wouldn't read or listen to other sites.

Please don't take this the wrong way (not saying this with any harshness, ok) :D

I think it is beneficial to read a variety of sources and view as many websites/forums as possible....there is no ONE WAY to care for tortoise---there are too many variables to insist on only one way...there are good parts of old ways of care just as there are some good newer care practices...along with variables for where you live in the world/ weather/ routine set up and so on...

While I personally find this Forum usually on point...I would not exclude all other sources of information....just my feeling is all...:D

Again, my share here is no cause for uproar --just sharing.

Britnigilbert

5 Year Member
I have one and he eats a lot as long as u make sure it isn't making them sick then the vet said it's ok to do a little everyday I feel like they are like humans tho and if u went from feeding him everyday to. 2/3 times a week he would be hungry mine looks at me like he is withering away til I feed him it all depends on the animal u might just want to soak him more frequently so he can get rid of the excess:)