Tips for soaking RF

Currin

I would love some tips for soaking my RF! I've had him a few weeks now and have done it several times. He, however, just tries constantly to get out. I do use warm water. I just wonder why he never seems comfortable and it is a bit challenging. Thanks everyone!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
High sided tub.
I use a tall stainless steel sink and even my very large RF can't see over the sides.
Not being able to see through...or over the pan of water helps.
Are you using a clear pan of water?

Currin

Thank you. I should have added he is indeed in a high sided tub and cannot see over. He still never relents in trying to climb out

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Mine have open access to soak whenever and I noticed they do it in the afternoon.

But when I used the large soak tub, I'd feed them right after and I noticed they associate soaking with eating so they'd start stomping around in anticipation of food.

So I started soaking them a little bit earlier and then feeding them later in the day. When I did that they seemed more relaxed and sat in the tub better. Perhaps it's because they didn't associate soaking with eating right after.

Currin

Thanks guys! Mine does have access to his own soaking area constantly, but I have never seen him do it. At least not in the few weeks I've had him! I suppose you are right and he will get used to it. :)

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Thanks guys! Mine does have access to his own soaking area constantly, but I have never seen him do it. At least not in the few weeks I've had him! I suppose you are right and he will get used to it. :)
mine tries to escape to it's not a bad thing it actually stimulates the bowels

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Mine also tries to climb out. I noticed he gets calmer when I'm not standing next to him and looking at him (maybe a bit shy?).

I also sometimes hand feed him some greens to give a positive vibe to the soaking, hoping he'll connect the two and stay calmer.

Also: measure your water temps. What is warm for us (40C) could already be really hot for your tort...

Currin

I will definitely do that and try giving him some fruit or something while he's in there, thank you!