Tiny white bugs in bedding

dmarshall1991

I noticed today that the cypress mulch in my redfoots enclosure has super tiny little white almost transparent bug things in it. I saw them swarming a piece of uneaten collards while I was spot cleaning. What are these and do I need to be worried?? I don't see any on Jones himself. Just in the humid mulch. If they are bad how do I get rid of them

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Substrate nats :)
They aren't harmful. They like the moist dirt and eating old food/poop o_O I had some too... but I read that pillbugs can help demolish your population, so I added some. And today my russian's coir is bug free! (expect for the pillbugs, they are thriving) :p
You can also bake/boil your mulch every couple weeks to keep them in check.

dmarshall1991

Don't sugar gnats fly?? These are like almost microscopic little mite/lice looking things. But they aren't on the tort at all. Just in the bedding.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Probably springtails. It seems like a common thing in redfoot enclosures; they love moist areas. They're pretty harmless and help decompose all that organic material in there. I've learned that there's just no escaping bugs if you have reptiles or houseplants.. and I have a lot of both :D

dmarshall1991

Probably springtails. It seems like a common thing in redfoot enclosures; they love moist areas. They're pretty harmless and help decompose all that organic material in there. I've learned that there's just no escaping bugs if you have reptiles or houseplants.. and I have a lot of both :D
I just Google springtails. That's exactly what they are :) good as long as they won't harm my Jones boy I'm fine with letting them share lol. Also helps that they help decompose stuff that's cool.