Tiny-Tiny, Baby Box Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
This is the tiniest box turtle I have ever seen,so far it is acting like a normal baby box turtle, it cut the egg shell a couple days ago and set in it with it's head buried in the dark waiting for the belly to heal over,I'm going to offer food soon,All of the hatchlings seem smaller than usual this year and the percentage of good eggs was down, even got my first extra scute baby from a natural nest (that i never seen) somewhere in the yard.-------this summer was the hottest on record for us-----could have something to do with it. Len

Crucian Gold

5 Year Member
I had a very small one hatch in 2000. He was only slightly bigger than a dime and I didn't think he could possible survive. For the first year I raised him alone in a ten gallon tank with a natural set up ( soil ,real plants, hide spot and a reptisun bulb. He was fed daily as much as he wanted to eat of white mealworms,earthworms, etc. Eleven years later he lives outdoors is still going strong. He is however still much smaller that the others in his age group. Good luck with him!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
He's so tiny! Today I showed my students all the triplet pictures from cdmay, tomorrow I'm going to have to show them this little guy!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What a tiny one! Of course, I am liking the one in the second picture, upper left corner. ;) :D:D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Len what exactly are you feeding him and how. I have these too tiny ones now and am wondering how you are doing with your little one too.

Len B

10 Year Member!
terryo said:
Len what exactly are you feeding him and how. I have these too tiny ones now and am wondering how you are doing with your little one too.
Terry, I got lucky, I found a bunch of real tiny earth worms in the worm bed and I also raise mealworms and crickets so I have small food for him and the others. the little worms made my day when I saw them. As for feeding I have the smallest one in a 1 gal tank with cypress mulch, a food dish(coaster) that the mealworms can't get out of but the turtle can go in and out of, the crickets and earthworms have the run of the tank along with a few rouge mealworms, almost forgot the potato bugs (pillbugs) that are in there. also no water bowl-small bugs die in them- he is eating by searching and digging just like the bigger turtles, seems to be doing fine.I have him in the smaller tank to make it easier for him to find the food. Good Luck with your new little ones, I think they will be fine.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Here is an update on the tiny one, He is doing great, moved him into a larger tank. He is constantly on the prowl for anything that moves, not real good a catching crickets yet, but he will figure it out.I took these pics Sunday while setting him in his new home,the last one is some of what is being dumped for him to search for later.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Great up-date Len. I love seeing these tiny's eat. I just ordered some red wigglers...my big compost bin with the worms, was left out in the hurricane and they all drowned...I have one tiny aggressive eater, the smallest one in fact, and the other two are coming around slowly. So far the only thing mine will eat is wax worms. Hopefully they'll eat the red wigglers.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
They'll go bonkers for the red wigglers. That's what I use when I start out the NA Wood hatchlings.

Status
Not open for further replies.