Time for an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimTortise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I've decided to build Regina an actual vivarium. The only problem is I don't have a lot of room to work with. I heard making an L shape saves space. I was just wondering if I could get some ideas and input on how to build it. Regina is a Russian who is fully grown at about 8". Thanks in advance everybody!

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
i did the L shape it did save a bit of space easy to set up you have a hot side and a cool side , i put a top on it so the cool side stays about 70 to 75 and the hot side is 95 to 100 ( depends if my door is open to the computer room) its 5' x 2' on one side then a 3'x2' on the other

TimTortise

5 Year Member
Iowa
Hmm up never thought of that advantage of the L shape. Thanks Slowpoke! what type of materials dog you use?

slowpoke

5 Year Member
i used ply wood and some 2x4 and 2x2 if you look at the last pic i posted is the blue print (kind of) gives a list of what i used on the botem left

TimTortise

5 Year Member
Iowa
Sorry, didn't see that last picture. only 80? That's a steal! I might have to"borrow" you're design HAHA!

slowpoke

5 Year Member
thats fine , you can .... but i made some changes sense i made that i put the heat light on just one side and moved the uvb to the other side , my first thought was that the corner part would stay cooler than the out side parts i was wrong lol , so with the light on one side that side stays around 95 and the other side with just the uvb lighting stays around 75 , the torts look like they like it ...

TimTortise

5 Year Member
Iowa
Update. I'm going to build the new house Saturday. Just one quick question Slowpoke, How did you connect your two separate sections? or did you build them as one piece? I think for convenience purposes I'm going to try and build the two sections as separate boxes and then find a way to fasten them together. That way when it's moving time i can easily take it a part into two separate boxes.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I can't think of the name of them, but there are hardware pieces that snap or lock two sides together so you can disconnect to clean, etc. I am sure you could find them at a hardware store.
That's a good idea.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
TimTortise said:
Update. I'm going to build the new house Saturday. Just one quick question Slowpoke, How did you connect your two separate sections? or did you build them as one piece? I think for convenience purposes I'm going to try and build the two sections as separate boxes and then find a way to fasten them together. That way when it's moving time i can easily take it a part into two separate boxes.

i had to make it in two peaces , like i was making two tables then i just used long screws and screwed them together , so when i did the flooring on it with the sealant i just filled in the small crack ...

Status
Not open for further replies.