The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There are two main reasons why they don't use their back legs:

1. Pain from constipation.
2. MDB.

A third rare scenario is some sort of congenital defect at birth.

Has the tortoise had access to moss, perlite, or been walking on the floor where something might have been ingested?

Is the tortoise getting UV somewhere, and is the diet balanced and high in calcium?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
There are two main reasons why they don't use their back legs:

1. Pain from constipation.
2. MDB.

A third rare scenario is some sort of congenital defect at birth.

Has the tortoise had access to moss, perlite, or been walking on the floor where something might have been ingested?

Is the tortoise getting UV somewhere, and is the diet balanced and high in calcium?
It hasn't had access to any moss perlite etc. I never allow him to walk outside of his enclosure in the house etc.
The diet is balanced, he eats mushroom, earthworms, butternut squash, small pieces of cucumber or lettuce for extra hydration at times.
I think UV is the problem, I couldn't get anything safe here, so I do take him outside.
Mushroom is fed as a main food. It's high in protein, vit D and fiber, I hoped that he would get enough dietary vit D from it.
There was a period where I couldn't take him outside for two months, he did get extra calcium in that time and was fed more mushrooms.
I do hope that wasn't the death knell for my tort😟

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
He's a tortoise for pete's sake...I so totally disagree that they stress out so easily. Seriously, my pt comment was a joke. But if it were my tort I'd be doing exactly that.

Is the water up over his head? He isn't fighting u?
Yes, he relaxes in the water, after about three minutes he starts to move his front legs. He does keep fighting with the front legs, but doesn't move the hind ones.
Just want to make sure, by up over his head do you mean where he'd normally be if on the bottom? I keep his feet on the tub floor, and hold him at a 45° degree angle, and then I keep his head up above the water, the water is just below where his beak closes

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
When you take on a project like you just did...he had MBD and you took him form a bad situation? You cannot just take good care now and expect it to turn around. @zovick ..all the sudden this has gotten serious, zobvick was a Vet tech, like me, but remembers what was learned and practiced. I don't like they just "get over" MBD. I've learned it is very painful, but I don't personally know,. So maybe 1 Vet visit for pain meds "might" be in order. @Yvonne G is pretty darned experienced w/MBD.
I'm just trying to help, this is a serious and crappy thing

look...
you better start adding to his diet right away...

These omnivorous tortoises eat mushrooms, seeds, plant matter, worms, snails, slugs, spiders, frogs and carrion, but the bulk of their diet is made up of insects, which is unique among tortoises.

At the Smithsonian's National Zoo, they eat leafy greens, fruits, vegetables, earthworms, mealworms, crickets and roaches.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
When you take on a project like you just did...he had MBD and you took him form a bad situation? You cannot just take good care now and expect it to turn around. @zovick ..all the sudden this has gotten serious, zobvick was a Vet tech, like me, but remembers what was learned and practiced. I don't like they just "get over" MBD. I've learned it is very painful, but I don't personally know,. So maybe 1 Vet visit for pain meds "might" be in order. @Yvonne G is pretty darned experienced w/MBD.
I'm just trying to help, this is a serious and crappy thing

look...
you better start adding to his diet right away...

These omnivorous tortoises eat mushrooms, seeds, plant matter, worms, snails, slugs, spiders, frogs and carrion, but the bulk of their diet is made up of insects, which is unique among tortoises.

At the Smithsonian's National Zoo, they eat leafy greens, fruits, vegetables, earthworms, mealworms, crickets and roaches.
Yes, I'm on it, I'll have to step up to ensure he has the best life possible.
I'm adding
Kale, endive, mustard greens, bell pepper, tamato, zuchinni, carrots. (Some of these come from a hingeback blueprint, some to be fed more, and some less)
I'll get some crickets and millipedes. Millipedes are native here but he does flee at the sight of them, but I'll look out for smaller ones.
I'll give him more of a dust in cuttlefish powder on his food.
I'll ensure he gets lots of suntime
He came from a bad situation, but you are entirely right, now that I know what's wrong I have to fix it and go above and beyond

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes, I'm on it, I'll have to step up to ensure he has the best life possible.
I'm adding
Kale, endive, mustard greens, bell pepper, tamato, zuchinni, carrots. (Some of these come from a hingeback blueprint, some to be fed more, and some less)
I'll get some crickets and millipedes. Millipedes are native here but he does flee at the sight of them, but I'll look out for smaller ones.
I'll give him more of a dust in cuttlefish powder on his food.
I'll ensure he gets lots of suntime
He came from a bad situation, but you are entirely right, now that I know what's wrong I have to fix it and go above and beyond
Awesome! Keep asking questions and tell us how he's doing...I think one problem is not having a care sheet for your species. I have a friend who lives about 30 miles away from me and he's got a whole creep of them. I'll talk to him...

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Awesome! Keep asking questions and tell us how he's doing...I think one problem is not having a care sheet for your species. I have a friend who lives about 30 miles away from me and he's got a whole creep of them. I'll talk to him...
Thanks! It's a real pain, the blueprint I mentioned is 7 years old and currently one of the best ones, so it's a bit difficult to navigate, but I would entirely appreciate any info you can get on them!

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
@maggie3fan , I took him out and he's using his legs, so there's hope!20220322_111950.jpg

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I have great news. Since three days ago I've changed his diet, increased sunshine time and added more cuttle fish powder.
Today he swirled his back feet while soaking, in circles, and started to walk, he is using his right leg much more, and uses it as a foot to walk, and keeps his left leg out, which is concerning, but I'm glad he's starting to get back to it! (This is rather quick, so I'll keep my eye on it)20220324_205210.jpg