Tilting Tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Today I have noticed that Scarlet has been laying in a tilted position several times. It seems like I read something about torts laying at an angle when I was researchig how to help the sick hatchling I received in December from LLL Reptile. Scarlet is not a hatchling, she is at least a year old, but I am worried it could be an indicator of illness. Sorting through all my tort bookmarks now to try and find the page where I think I first read about odd body positioning. She has been angled on her rock several times. She could just be basking in an unusual way, but I didn't want to take a chance. She has a little bit of a clear runny nose when I brought her home. She has been moving about her inclosure fine and eating.

Any words of advice would be appreciated. I will take pics if she does it again.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Weird positioning is all a matter of opinion I suppose...lol LOL torts will lay a variety of ways, so would not worry...however, if your tort start any acrobatics please share the pics :D and I just funnin ya on the acrobatics :D

Now..you did mention a runny nose? If it is an occasional clear issue then I would not be too freaked out...maybe bump your temps to make sure the temp does not drop below 80....and if your temps outside allow you to...offer some natural sun time....:D

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Weird positioning is all a matter of opinion I suppose...lol LOL torts will lay a variety of ways, so would not worry...however, if your tort start any acrobatics please share the pics :D and I just funnin ya on the acrobatics :D

Now..you did mention a runny nose? If it is an occasional clear issue then I would not be too freaked out...maybe bump your temps to make sure the temp does not drop below 80....and if your temps outside allow you to...offer some natural sun time....:D

Thank you so much, I have always been an over-protective momma. The torts had a nearly three hour car ride from Covington KY to get to southern Ohio last Tuesday, moved in a tort table designed as a mansion for a hatchling, then into a large baby pool more suitable to their size two days ago. I got an extra heat lamp yesterday to bump up the temps. Basking site was fine, but just a bit too cool in the other areas of the enclosure, so I am hoping that caused the runny nose. It is just slight, but I wanted to keep an eye on it. Humidity levels are fine.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes...sounds like he has had some activity to say the least lately..lol. yeah I would just bump your temps to assure no temp drops below 80 and continue that way for a month or so and keep eye on the overall being...and the nose :D and also since you are bumping the temp be sure to do your daily soaks to assure your little one does not become dehydrated too quickly.....:D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
TaraDodrill said:
Today I have noticed that Scarlet has been laying in a tilted position several times. It seems like I read something about torts laying at an angle when I was researchig how to help the sick hatchling I received in December from LLL Reptile. Scarlet is not a hatchling, she is at least a year old, but I am worried it could be an indicator of illness. Sorting through all my tort bookmarks now to try and find the page where I think I first read about odd body positioning. She has been angled on her rock several times. She could just be basking in an unusual way, but I didn't want to take a chance. She has a little bit of a clear runny nose when I brought her home. She has been moving about her inclosure fine and eating.

Any words of advice would be appreciated. I will take pics if she does it again.

I'm not sure I understand what you are describing as laying in a tilted position, do you have any pictures you could show? I assume by tilted, you mean that she is resting on her right or left side and raising the other side?

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Neal, if Scarlet does it again I will take pics. Resting at an angle would have been a better description. A slant, I guess. She did it three times earlier today. Once her head looked to be in a really awkward position in relation to the rest of her body that has on a basking rock.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Anything like this
014.jpg

013-2.jpg

011-1.jpg

007.jpg

My little monkey does it all the time, and he's perfectly healthy. Had a bubbly nose when I got him in July, went to the vet and she didn't want to treat him unless it got worse, well it cleared up on its own really quick and we've never had a problem since. He has a bigger water bowl now and still tilts on the aquarium thermometer I leave in the water.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Resting at an angle is nothing to worry about.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Thought just hit me, you may be thinking about water turtles, if they float at an angle it's a sign of a respiratory infection.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
no worries about your little sulcata, they will lay, lean, and tilt their bodies in the weirdiest ways to rest or bask, almost scary looking how they are sometimes, i often wonder how they even stop in those weird positions, doesnt look comfy to me!!

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your insight, I feel much better now! Yes, Weda- exactly like that!

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
lol they just like to let it all hang out.

Status
Not open for further replies.