Help: possibly gravid female new arrival?

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
Greetings!
Some of you saw my post earlier about the new female Sulcata I took in, Tonka.
The "kid" I "saved" her from told me that she has been laying clutches for years but was kinda vague on the situation.
It turns out, that is he claims, that she laid in mid February and early January. AND that she has been kept with several males since then.
I'm not up to par in my "breeding timing" but I thought it was mainly a autumn kinda time? So would that even make sense? She came from Florida.
What chance, if any, is there that I may have an already gravid girl on my hands here? At this time of year?
I'd rather be prepared than not!
Thanks in advance!!!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Your chances are very good. I have a couple young females that started laying last fall and have continued to lay a clutch each month. The last was in early February. I have another female about the same age as two that are laying but has shown no signs of nesting.I'm in Virginia and sulcatas nesting outside during the winter months can be challenging :) but they are worth a good challenge. Good Luck with your new adventure...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Breeding season for sulcatas starts in early January and ends in late December every year. :)

Mine always start laying in late December or early January and they stop laying in June when things get consistently hot here. So NOW is the prime time for laying in warmer climates. You are very likely to have a gravid female, and you are very likely to get a big batch of fertile eggs soon. Happy digging!

Check this out for tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Your chances are very good. I have a couple young females that started laying last fall and have continued to lay a clutch each month. The last was in early February. I have another female about the same age as two that are laying but has shown no signs of nesting.I'm in Virginia and sulcatas nesting outside during the winter months can be challenging :) but they are worth a good challenge. Good Luck with your new adventure...

Thank you! Omg. What did I get myself into!
I was not even intending on breeding her and Tank anytime soon.
I used to breed Herps and Burmese Pythons were my "bread and butter" so I am familiar with the process of incubation... but that was at least 10 years ago. I'm rusty.
Aside from the obvious... get prepared...
Any tips???

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Breeding season for sulcatas starts in early January and ends in late December every year. :)

Mine always start laying in late December or early January and they stop laying in June when things get consistently hot here. So NOW is the prime time for laying in warmer climates. You are very likely to have a gravid female, and you are very likely to get a big batch of fertile eggs soon. Happy digging!

Check this out for tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/
Ha ha on your timeline there! I've noticed the certain times of year Tank gets anxious and "frisky" and others he is more mellow. That combined with the rainy season here.... I never gave much thought to breeding.
I mean yes I did get this female because I felt compelled to save her after this kid told me he had her alone with 3 males! I can only imagine what she was going though. BUT
I was also told she had "recently laid" and did not expect the timeframe for another "pregnancy" to be so ...sudden? She just laid in early February. AFTER she arrives he tells me she lays about every 30 days. I didn't believe him!
So it is possible? Yikes!
Are Hovabaters still good? That's what I used for my Burms.
I'll take all the help I can get... while I work on finding a big bag of soil to dump in her pen.
Now I have sooooo many questions.....
Thank you for the link. And any additional tips you may have to offer!