Thoughts on the sulcata enclosure

CharleytheTort

Location (City and/or State)
Charlotte, NC
I have a enclosure that has a very shallow plate to hold water. His hide is a large candle holder laid on its side. The candle holder has holes about an inch by an inch wide. I have orchid moss inside the hide that I keep moist and also keep a moist towel draped over the pot ( the crazy design) it keeps moisture. The cage is 18x24. Thoughts?

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Remove the pellets and get coconut coir or orchid bark. The pellets are one of the worst substrates and not meant for tortoises, even though some pet stores sell it for this reason. Also the coir will help with better humidity, which they need 80% .
Also the flowers in the water is a bad idea, will make the flowers slimy and dirty the water. Use a flat rock or piece of tile for a food plate. When you change the substrate dampen it with warm water and cover most of all of the enclosure to get humidity right. Please read the caresheets under the sulcata section.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also make plans for enlarging the enclosure. It won't be long and he will need more room.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a enclosure that has a very shallow plate to hold water. His hide is a large candle holder laid on its side. The candle holder has holes about an inch by an inch wide. I have orchid moss inside the hide that I keep moist and also keep a moist towel draped over the pot ( the crazy design) it keeps moisture. The cage is 18x24. Thoughts?

I always want to answer these types of questions, but sometimes it really bums people out. I don't want to seem like I'm being mean, but there are some things that could be better for your tortoise.

1. Its too small. Your tortoise is not a hatchling, and this enclosure would be too small for a hatchling. You need something much bigger. 36x72" will last a few months, but you might as well just go 48x96" and that will last until he is ready to live outside full time in a year or two.
2. No colored bulbs.
3. No dry substrate.
4. The opening on your hide is too wide for it to function as a humid hide.
5. Be careful with moss. They usually eat it. Colored bulbs make this more likely too.

What are you using for heat? Night heat? UV?

Are you soaking daily?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.:tort:

I think that the enclosure is rather small. I do NOT mean to hurt/upset you, but one must keep in mind that these cute little animals live in the wild where they roam around without borders/red lights.;)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It seems as if you would make a really great interior decorator - for humans!

But I agree with what has been said so far, re the amount of space and the need for him to have a more natural tortoise environment. I love your hide, but he may be happier and feel more "hidden" if you put a rock part way across the opening!

A work in progress, like mine! I am new here too and learning like crazy.