Thoughts on current lighting & set up?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I could use some feedback from other redfoot owners - I fairly recently upgraded my tortoises enclosure from 4x4 to 4x8. The current set up (fancy ms paint skills incoming):

1613361816542.png

yellow strips are where the current UV light strips are. They are each 36" fixtures: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/36...arcadia-12-and-6-5k-day-light-bulbs-included/

I have a feeling it's too bright for her, and she does seem to use and enjoy her hides often. Any thoughts? Should I get a smaller single fixture on one end, or turn one of the fixtures off completely?

Picture of half the enclosure is attached

Attachments

• 20201108_171141.jpg
    20201108_171141.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Can you add plants? I think it's better to make it "too bright" and then add other elements to create partial shade, dappled areas.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You are correct that your Redfoot prefers shade to bright lights.
Some potted plants would help.
But your biggest issue seems to be humidity. That is a pretty severe case of pyramiding there.
Your only real option is adapting that enclosure into a closed chamber to trap moisture.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
You are correct that your Redfoot prefers shade to bright lights.
Some potted plants would help.
But your biggest issue seems to be humidity. That is a pretty severe case of pyramiding there.
Your only real option is adapting that enclosure into a closed chamber to trap moisture.

Don't worry, it's a closed chamber. She was given to me with pyramiding unfortunately and I have been trying my best to attempt to avoid allowing any further advancement.

I have tried plants but she is just so big, she bulldozes, eats, and rips out anything I put in there. I also just got over a severe gnat problem and I think they came from a boston fern I was waiting to transition to her enclosure. I am reluctant to put any more in there. I could try fake plants maybe, and hanging them out of reach.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Can you add plants? I think it's better to make it "too bright" and then add other elements to create partial shade, dappled areas.

thank you, I have tried plants but she destroys them most of the time. I think I will try fake plants that are out of reach but still provide some shade from the light. Maybe something to hang.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Don't worry, it's a closed chamber. She was given to me with pyramiding unfortunately and I have been trying my best to attempt to avoid allowing any further advancement.

I have tried plants but she is just so big, she bulldozes, eats, and rips out anything I put in there. I also just got over a severe gnat problem and I think they came from a boston fern I was waiting to transition to her enclosure. I am reluctant to put any more in there. I could try fake plants maybe, and hanging them out of reach.
Have you tried busted flower pots laying on their sides?
Really, anything that makes them feel hidden seems to pacify them.
It doesn't need to be anything expensive or fancy.
My group uses some corrugated plastic sewer pipes

Zoeclare

Uk
Nitro loves his broken plant pot! Its his favourite place to lurk!

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts

I dunno man, the pipes would have to be 10+ inches in diameter and they usually come in great lengths like 10 feet. I have tried to put pots or buckets in there when she was smaller...the bucket was interesting because she kept trying to walk through the back of it, like she saw a reflection of her environment in it maybe.

I would like to at some point make her a ceramic log hide since she is too big for any store bought hides now. My water turtle has one and he sleeps in it at night.

What I have done is put the top of a cat litter bin in there. I had to cut the hole wider for her to just barely fit in, and it works. I also currently have one of those terrarium cork backgrounds that are like 24 x 36 that I have dug into the dirt and laid up against the wall. She LOVES sitting under it but knocks it down when she can with her butt shakes.

I have also bought small 5-8 inch hanging planters after making this thread and am planning on growing the cuttings of spider plants and pothos to produce some shade in her enclosure near the lights. The plants might not grow large enough to allow for decent amounts of shade though.