This So Cal Heat Wave

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
How are your CDTs handling it, everybody? Are any aestivating to the point of flat out not eating? Have one who has really slowed down, just one. Not eating early am, or early evening. Keeping him hydrated. I do over worry. Just wondering what everyone else is experiencing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not in CA but when we have had our 100 temps and very humid, yuck, I turn the sprinkler on. Helps to really keep the grass/tort level much cooler.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Here in Aguanga today, the afternoon temperature nearly reathed tripple digits. Our CDTs have deep burrows to escape in as well as the shade of a large pine tree. They're comming out around 8 AM for breakfast, but after a short walk about followed by a short while in the shade, they've all gone beck into hiding by about 10 AM. This is the first day two of them failed t o re-emerge for supper. Tommorow I'll be sure to run the sprinkler for a while if they come out at all . . . supposed to exceed triple digits. We have some of this weather every year, the torts know what to do as long as I know what to provide.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
It was 120 deg here today. However, because of a fire ant infestation in his enclosure, Chug is in the house for a while.
But last year when it was like this, I ran a sprinkler over and around his burrow for 2-3 minutes every hour. I also have a shade cloth structure over the burrow, and ran a mister under the shade cloth. Worked pretty well. The burrow stayed around 85 deg.
Shade cloth structure
20170826_145121.jpeg

Mister under cloth
20170826_145047.jpeg