This may sound stupid...

tortgirl123

Okay, this may sound, stupid. My friend just got a bunny. Which reminded me of the tortoise and the hair! So why not have a race? I need to know how my tort can win this thing!? There's of course going to be exceptions, given that tortoises are way slower! I get a 20 second head start and a piece of food in front of his face! Any other ideas? Trust me I'm going to make sure all is safe ( lanes, we're doing it at my house so Hercules won't get cold and have no way to a heat source )
Thanks guys! Again that was probably really stupid, but we have to know how the tortoise and the hare race really should've turned out!

HJ1983

Location (City and/or State)
New York City
I have two bunnies and a Russian. I'm so overprotective of my tort that the bunnies haven't been able to do anything further than look at him. I don't trust one of them and she might jump on him or something. If you offer good there's no way the tortoise will win as bunnies are just as greedy. Unless there's a food the tort eats that the bunny doesn't. My rabbits are 6 pounds each and almost two feet long when stretched out. My Russian is 375 grams and under 5 inches. Not sure how it would go.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Do not put the rabbit with the tortoise!
The "hare" (not hair) will knaw on the tortoise. I've seen this happen before! "Lanes" will not do much. Rabbits are much more powerful than thought.
I hate to be a joy-kill, but this just screams danger to me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh, just have fun with it.

Tortoises (and other reptiles too) tend to pick a direction and want to go that way. If the lanes are running you way, there is a good chance your tortoise will steadily walk to the finish line while the bunny sniffs, stops and nibbles. Do it on grass because your russian won't want to eat any and the bunny likely will.

HJ1983

New York City
tffnytorts said:
Do not put the rabbit with the tortoise!
The "hare" (not hair) will knaw on the tortoise. I've seen this happen before! "Lanes" will not do much. Rabbits are much more powerful than thought.
I hate to be a joy-kill, but this just screams danger to me.

That's why they only got to look. Fufu eats the walls! What's to stop her from tasting a tortoise before she realizes that he's not edible! She eats cardboard, shoelaces, cell phone cords, hair, plastic gates that keep her confined to the living room, and the list is never ending.

Offer the bunny a banana treat. I think banana is crack to bunnies. Just hold it in your hand and blow the scent it's way. I do this to my bunnies and they go nuts when they smell banana.

tortgirl123

Sorry totally meant to write "hare" :) I'm going to make sure that the walls are tall enough that the rabbit doesn't even know there's a tortoise next to her! Btw the bunny is just a baby she's on the size of my palm. Trust me I'm going to be stand right over my tort, so my super cat like reflex scan pick him up if the decides she has to have a lick on that tortoise! Thanks! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
If this goes down, I demand a video! LOL

Tom, is cracking me up, "oh, just let the kids have their fun!" Hehe

tortgirl123

[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] is there a way to post it without having a youtube?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
While I can not agree with staged turtle races at fairs and such, this little experiment seems harmless if only done the one time. Bunnys will not chew on a tortoise. I have never in my 45 years ever heard of a carnivorous rabbit or hare. I also think it is highly unlikely for even the largest of rabbits to damage a full grown tortoise by stepping or jumping on said tortoise in any way shape or form. They simply do not act with crushing force like a human or cow or other heavy, plodding animal. And even if they could, with people actually watching the evet it is unlikely that any damage would occur before aggresion could be stopped. Fortunatly for us, rabbits are not the death dealing savages that Monty Python makes them out to be, lol.