this is why

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Yep what that mod said. You can run 1x12's across the bottom. That fence is great, but when they can see thru, they want to go thru. So block off the bottom. easy fix.
Also, I really am not an expert by any means...but none of the Sulcata I have had has dug at all and I think it's because they were exposed to the tort shed early and it has fans and lights and they all seem to like it and are comfy like in a burrow. Sorta...Mary takes herself off to bed, then I go and close the 3 doors...100_6311.JPG

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
We have 8 acres all fenced, but it's part wooded and part cleared and the fence looks like this:

View attachment 347337

Not exactly Sulcata proof, so we plan to build a concrete enclosure, as large as we can afford, next spring before it gets too hot to work outside.

We still take him on daily walks outside of his enclosure, and I'm sure we will always continue to do that. It brings us a lot of joy, just as it does him. He loves to explore and we all love to watch him do just that.

I do really appreciate you, and everyone else, sharing pics of what tortoises can do when they escape. We want to build the long term enclosure only once, and do it right the first time.

On HGTV I saw an episode of something where the people had a tortoise and it dug under their concrete patio and destroyed the foundation of the home. So I had some idea of the damage that can be done. But reminders area always good!
Yes reminders never offend me for that reason. When I get one from any member I check it out. It may be the reminder I need to protect my turdess 😘

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
My entire back yard will be the sulcata enclosure. My largest is only fourteen inches . He's got three thousand square feet and im constantly expanding . The nice thing is I have a lot of time to devote to building enclosure. I would rather do nothing else right now . But it sure ain't for everbody.

Attachments

• IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 9

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
@Maddoggy I would plan on adding some protection to the bottom of the wood fence between you and the neighbor. Sometimes those pickets push off pretty easy and your guys will be pushing against the fasteners.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My entire back yard will be the sulcata enclosure. My largest is only fourteen inches . He's got three thousand square feet and im constantly expanding . The nice thing is I have a lot of time to devote to building enclosure. I would rather do nothing else right now . But it sure ain't for everbody.
I love making enclosures...

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
Maggie thanks for the advice looking at coral boards to extend between the four by fours also using concrete footer that I dug up as a debris barrier . And I have to admit I also love making enclosures.

Attachments

• IMG_0064.JPG
    IMG_0064.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 8

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Most of us have devoted time to build and provide a tortoise enclosure it is worth the energy and outlay to see them content, health and safe.

shellcior

Magnolia, Tx
So true!!!
View attachment 347333My enclosure keeps this 200+ pound monster no problem. Plus a few of his friends. View attachment 347332
Keeping a large sulcata is doable but it takes the correct enclosure and building such an enclosure is not for the faint of heart for sure. I have several big guys that have been a challenge to keep in with other fence types. This type of fence has never failed me and I’m confident at this point it never will.
Are those barrels filled with something that make up the fencing?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Are those barrels filled with something that make up the fencing?