This cute fella (a Texas Tortoise?) showed up in my yard

jrights

Location (City and/or State)
Argyle
This cute little fella (I call him Speedy) showed up in my yard about 2 months ago. I think it is a Texas Tortoise. My yard is in Lantana, Texas, which is between Dallas and Fort Worth. It has been over 100 degrees pretty much every day since I first saw him, so that is probably fine for him. I think he has been chowing down on grass, ivy and hibiscus. Come the winter, will Speedy survive the DFW climate? I researched online, and it looks like his habitat is quite a bit south of here. His shell (I don't really know if Speedy is a male or female) is about 4 -5 inches long.

Attachments

• speedy.jpg
    speedy.jpg
    756.3 KB · Views: 8

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Not a Texas tortoise but a box turtle
Agreed and may or may not be illegal to possess.
Check your laws.
The care for a Gopherus tortoise and a Box turtle are very different also.
(Assuming you haven't just photographed her and left her alone)

Last edited:

healingTortz

Oklahoma
This cute little fella (I call him Speedy) showed up in my yard about 2 months ago. I think it is a Texas Tortoise. My yard is in Lantana, Texas, which is between Dallas and Fort Worth. It has been over 100 degrees pretty much every day since I first saw him, so that is probably fine for him. I think he has been chowing down on grass, ivy and hibiscus. Come the winter, will Speedy survive the DFW climate? I researched online, and it looks like his habitat is quite a bit south of here. His shell (I don't really know if Speedy is a male or female) is about 4 -5 inches long.
Looks like a box turtle bro. That dude needs bugs and meats. Best to just bring him to a pond or something and let him do his thing

jrights

Argyle
Thanks for all of the feedback. I will go with Speedy being a Box Turtle, and he / she should do just fine in my backyard. Thank for the advice everyone.