Toxic Plants in Yard - Texas

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello Everyone! With my indoor enclosure vastly improved, I'm beginning to turn my attention to my backyard. I've got some native plants in there such as Lantana, Texas Mountain Laurel, Texas Sage, and a pecan tree. I'm having a hard time finding information about the toxicity of these plants to tortoises. Anyone have input on these? I'm planning to pull out the lantana regardless. The mountain laurel is toxic to mammals, I believe, so am planning on placing a catch net beneath them that will skirt any pods/leaves that drop outside of my fence and out of reach for my tortoise once she moves outside full time.

I'm also saving up to put in a privacy/tortoise-proof fence this spring.

Any advice from fellow Texans? or anyone have experience proofing their yard for their tortoise? I welcome any and all comments.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hello Everyone! With my indoor enclosure vastly improved, I'm beginning to turn my attention to my backyard. I've got some native plants in there such as Lantana, Texas Mountain Laurel, Texas Sage, and a pecan tree. I'm having a hard time finding information about the toxicity of these plants to tortoises. Anyone have input on these? I'm planning to pull out the lantana regardless. The mountain laurel is toxic to mammals, I believe, so am planning on placing a catch net beneath them that will skirt any pods/leaves that drop outside of my fence and out of reach for my tortoise once she moves outside full time.

Any advice from fellow Texans? or anyone have experience proofing their yard for their tortoise? I welcome any and all comments.

I’m sure @EllieMay and @Professor Brenda might be able to give you some tips!

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Melissa, you might check this Tort site out.
It has a fair amount of Info re: Toxic / Allowable Plants or food.
It's a place to start...

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

I went through all of this when I
Started my outside yards.. I knew didly about plants and only a marginal amount more 3yrs later.. lol.. the tortoise table was indispensable for me. I had to take most everything out and start from scratch.. i planted rose of Sharon (hardy hibiscus) , pampas grass, zinnias, snapdragon, cactus... I do remember the sage being a no-go.. I hated to move that one..