This ad made me sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
well wouldn't you be sad if you had no water, and was only fed lettuce. No water because he gets it from the lettuce,wow. And did I read he will grow according to his container?

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Poor thing it makes me so mad with the internet there is no excuss yer there is alot of conflicting info but u can get a good idea on how to look after them and keep them healthy and happy by checking diffrent info.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Can't stand it!!! No One here is in Utah????Ignorance is not Bliss!!

OurZoo

5 Year Member
Glendora, CA
Yes, but can't you just read between the lines and see what a friendly caring person the owner is:rolleyes:? I'm not sure I'd even want to meet this one in "a public spot"!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Nay said:
Can't stand it!!! No One here is in Utah????Ignorance is not Bliss!!

American Fork Utah is just south of SLC, and that's about 4 hours from me. BUT I don't want another tortoise, and am afraid of getting it as a "rescue" hoping to find another home. There was also a Sulcatta in American Fork a couple of days ago. I'm hoping someone will buy him, then look online to learn about proper care, and stumble onto this forum. Good thoughts!!

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
There's actually several for sale on that site. A couple russians, a couple sulcatas, at least 1 pair of nice redfoots, a greek, all sorts and all looking for good homes.

I wish we had more Utah members. People out here don't seem to be that educated about their torts. A couple months ago I posted one about a guy who was keeping his russian in a 10g with his large iguana. I just don't get it, Utah's a good place but Utahs sure do seem to be pretty ignorant about these types of things. Maybe it's just like that everywhere though.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Ugh. I saw this ad the other day. Sent them a friendly email about some of the misinformation... Looks like it didn't do any good, though... :( I so wish I had the space and resources to rescue the poor thing. He really needs someone who knows more than "lettuce and heat lamp."

Anyway, fingers are crossed that he finds his way into knowledgeable hands... And that the person selling him NEVER gets a tortoise again. >.<

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I emailed him too but he never replied. :( Also I emailed the lady selling the greek and let her know it was a russian ;) She was nice. Poor guy, I wonder what will happen to him.

Truthfully, I wouldn't be suprised if he was willing to give the tort (probably not the tank) away for free to someone who 1) knows a lot more about russians than him and 2) can show him how the tort would have such a better life elsewhere. I got a free Russian a year ago that way and the lady was super excited that I knew anything about russians. In case anyone remembers him, his name was Percy and according to her he loved to "swim" in the bathtub for an hour at a time...

moswen

5 Year Member
i love it how "he's super easy to keep if you've got kids and just learning how to keep pets" and "only needs to be fed 4-5 daays a week" (i'm sorry, i get hungry EVERY day, not just 4-5 days a week) but she "has to get rid of him asap due to circumstances" as in what? if he's so easy and low maintenance what can your circumstances be?

once i saw 2 red eared sliders for sale on my local craig's, she advertised "great pets for your children as they are so easy to care for" and "i just do not have time for them anymore" and "their tank is approximately (this many) inches, i don't know what size that is" (and just for the record it was a 10 gallon, i looked it up online) and that "they are 3 inches right now, and shouldn't get much bigger than that"

oh! i was furious. i wrote an ad in the pets section entitled "to the persons considering buying the 2 red eared sliders" and wrote "turtles are NOT ideal pets for children, as they can live 100 years and children get bored easily, the tank she has is a 10 gallon and that will NOT be sufficient space for two adult red eared sliders, who will grow to around 10 inches or larger as adults, and will need at least a 100 gallon tank with weekly water changes... i'm not writing this post to discourage you from buying these little guys, in fact i hope these guys find a home today so that they can be properly cared for and live long, happy lives..." & etc. i was pretty upset. don't write off your animal as an "easy pet" just so you can get rid of it quick. think about how the animal feels. lol, my post was taken down before the day was over and i got back on to re-post it, but she'd changed her listing to "two water turtles need a new home" or something two-liner like that. at least no one was misled with that post.

i'd sell that woman to china with a tag that says "healthy, hard worker, will work for cheap, doesn't need anything special with regards to living conditions, only need to feed her 4-5 times a week." and see how happy she is.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I loved your post, Rebekah! Love your fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.