Thinking of getting another tortoise

Kitkat1989

So I have a hermann but my partner and I started talking about our new house and that we may add another tortoise to our collection since we will have more space and more outside space. Now I have my little Walt who is a hermann and I am in the process if researching other breeds, however can 2 tortoises share a outside Inclosure if they are different breeds, this is just all research I am doing so any info would be good! Also any breeds that would be suitable for uk weather

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
tortoise's are normally known as species not breeds but to answer your question no they can't different species carry different pathogen's that could cause one another to get sick i'm not sure what UK weather is like so i can't suggest any species but i'm sure more UK members will chime in anytime

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Even when they can't live together, it's easier to concentrate on the same species.

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
Variety is the spice of life! I say if you have the space and desire for another tortoise go for it :) As far as recommending a tortoise for the weather I cant help you hopefully members more familiar with your climate will jump in.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Hermanns seem to be a popular breed of tortoise to keep in the UK, so you might want to stick with them.
It generally is not advised to mix breeds, because they can have different pathogens and cause illness in one or the other. Of course, you could set up separate enclosure.

Also, even with Hermanns tortoises, you would not want to have one female with one male or the female could be harassed constantly. Certainly not two males, as they could fight.

Horsfields(Russians) work too, but certainly are even more scrappy and territorial, usually, and perhaps a bit more sensitive to cold wet weather (although a nice sized cold frame or greenhouse with a basking area can help either species).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If I were you, stick to hermanns and get like 5 more. Imagine, a herd of torts walking around in your new yard. If you have a big enough space, lots of plants and sight barriers, couple different hides and feeding/water stations, you should have an enjoyable happy herd.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Unfortunately, torts don't play nice, and unless you have a very large enclosure, they shouldn't be housed together. Especially not different species, as they can make each other sick and could require different care. Is your hermann a female? (guessing by Walt's name he is a little boy :p ) You could house two females together (in a large and appropriate sized table) because males can be territorial and aggressive. And of course, males-with-females are generally a no-no (unless more gilrlies are involved with a hecka of a lot of space) If you are okay with housing a another tortoise separately, that's great :D russians are super cute, easy to care for, and have amazing personalities :<3:

Kitkat1989

Walt is 2 so we aren't 100% sure what sex he is. We are going to go for another hermann so can they live in the same enclosure? Would they have to be similar ages?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since tortoises are solitary creatures, when you give Walt a play mate, he's going to fight with it and try to chase it out of his territory. The stress on the new tortoise will make him sick and maybe even dead. If you want another tortoise, get one for YOU, not for Walt. He doesn't want a companion.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Kitkat1989

I can see he is quite happy alone. I didn't know if they could live together or if we need to invest in another enclosure for both their safety or if they would get along

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
By the time you figure out that it's not working, a lot of damage may have been done. They mask their illness & distress. It's better & safer to assume that they can't live together even after quarantine.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I can see he is quite happy alone. I didn't know if they could live together or if we need to invest in another enclosure for both their safety or if they would get along
Another enclosure. Even though Walt is young, he can still be a meanie.