Thinking of getting a RT

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. It's nice to have you researching before you purchase a tortoise.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Welcome to the forum! Read the sheet that Alex linked, its the best place to start. Please just be sure not go buy one from a petco or any place like that. There are good breeders you can get from, or get a rescue as there are zillions that need homes because most people don't understand how much space they really need (they can't be kept properly in a fish take or a 2x3' "tortoise house")

Ghosti20

Philadelphia, PA
Welcome to the forum! Read the sheet that Alex linked, its the best place to start. Please just be sure not go buy one from a petco or any place like that. There are good breeders you can get from, or get a rescue as there are zillions that need homes because most people don't understand how much space they really need (they can't be kept properly in a fish take or a 2x3' "tortoise house")
About space…I have an ikea detolf flipped on it’s side, is that too small?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Yes definitely. An adult should have like 4' x 8' if possible. Some people do use a flipped over bookshelf, but you'd have to DIY the bottom so doesn't rot.

This really is the best place to start. Its a lot of info, very dense, but worth reading.

Reactions: Tom

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
It's about 5x1.5 ft (if I've found the right cabinet)? This is too narrow for comfortable setup. But two of this put together (to get 5x3 ft space) may work. If you have space outside (balcony or yard) and will consider brumating ("hibernating") him in winter then indoors enclosure size doesn't matter that much. But still go as large as you can.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Enclosed enclosures are good to stat young tortoise as they need humidity which you struggle to get with a flat open enc unless you want to put a tent up. As they get bigger tortoise a tortoise table and a roomy outside enc are great. I have a Russian AKA Horsefield and have an extended vivarium with heat, light, low rocks and hides and an outside one for our rare sunny UK days 😎

They are escape artists so double check any potential gaps or climbing areas or they will be out and about. Correct diet, regular warm shallow soaks all helps them thrive.
Great fun to own but need proper care to ensure smooth strong shell and health.