Thinking about getting a tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torta

5 Year Member
Hello All!

I just subscribed to this forum...

I love forums for the simple fact that you have people who care about what they do,

I currently have a ball python, and a leopard gecko...

I was thinking about getting a tortoise, and I rather start researching in a forum than anywhere else

So, can anyone guide me to any caresheets? just to start...

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
You came to the right place for info! Everyone can guide you better if you tell us what you are thinking about getting. If you are not sure, size and care can help us make suggestions.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Hi Torta, welcome to the forum, What's your ball pythons name? I love pythons although my favourite is The imperial boa..
If you look on the tortoise trust links theres some great info on most of the common torts, Alot of the guys on this forum can also help you on which tort best suits you and you home...good luck
http://tortoisetrust.org/

Torta

5 Year Member
jlyoncc1 said:
You came to the right place for info! Everyone can guide you better if you tell us what you are thinking about getting. If you are not sure, size and care can help us make suggestions.

Okay, I live in Cali...so the weather is not a big issue. As far as size, As long as I can pick him up, i guess no more than 50lbs, as a full grown...as far as feeding...which I'm guessing they're not as different as an iguana, I have no problem...I had an iguana ( I had one in college, but had to give him away due to moving to Hawaii for school) and I simply blended all his veggies and fruits, made meal size portions of them and froze them and just added brewers yeast when I thawed it out, along with the collard, mustard, and dandelion greens that i gave him...

I'm hearing that torts need outside and inside...How much space is required, and I've heard about building a box for them as well...

What else should i know or expect?

Are they messy?
Humidity and Temperature levels
Anything else that i may need to know as well

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are a few types of tortoise where you can give general information out about them, but mostly, the information differs depending upon what type of tortoise you want. Do your research online. Look up Sulcata, Russian, Leopard, Gopherus agassazii (desert tortoise), box turtle, red foot tortoise, greek, hermann's...once you see how to generally take care of each different kind and decide on what fits your situation, then we can offer you more help on that particular species.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.