Things to do with a spare aquarium

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I have an extra reptile aquarium from when I stupidly bought it for my tortoise, and I was wondering if anyone has any neat ideas to do with it. I was thinking of making it a terrarium for plants, but i don't really have any plants that need it. Then I was thinking of a hamster, but that's a big no. I will also have a spare ten gallon soon, so if anyone has a thought of what I could do with them, that'd be great, I've been looking for a project to do.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
How big is it? Terrarium or aquarium? I liked planted tanks... Like aquarium planted tanks...

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Put a small snake in it . Like a common grass snake or a garder snake .

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
I like the idea of a planted terrarium and not just getting another pet to fill an empty tank. When you do decide to get a new critter, get one you really want.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I considered a lizard or new reptile, but sadly I'm not allowed to care for any more living things except maybe plants. My parents say I have too many "pets." I like the planted aquarium idea. And I really wish I could turn it into a closed chamber for a hatchling, but maybe some other day in the far away future.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can donate it to a rescue near you . Or you can make a worm bed out of it.

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
Ok, perfect idea. Plant it with humidity loving tortoise edible plants and when you can get a hatchling one day you can put it into a nice planted enclosure for a couple of months depending on the kind of tort.

hunterk997 said:
I considered a lizard or new reptile, but sadly I'm not allowed to care for any more living things except maybe plants. My parents say I have too many "pets." I like the planted aquarium idea. And I really wish I could turn it into a closed chamber for a hatchling, but maybe some other day in the far away future.

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
Put another animal in it, that's what I always do:)

hunterk997 said:

My parents say the same thing...

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
compassrose26 said:

You have two tortoises right? You're so lucky... I had to beg for 6 months just to get one. And now my parents are trying to say I'm not allowed to get anymore plants! Although I have at least 25...
I think I'll start turning it into a plant aquarium tomorrow. I can grow some seed mix for my tort in it, rehabilitate attacked plants, and more. Thanks for the ideas!

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
Re: RE: Things to do with a spare aquarium

hunterk997 said:
compassrose26 said:

You have two tortoises right? You're so lucky... I had to beg for 6 months just to get one. And now my parents are trying to say I'm not allowed to get anymore plants! Although I have at least 25...
I think I'll start turning it into a plant aquarium tomorrow. I can grow some seed mix for my tort in it, rehabilitate attacked plants, and more. Thanks for the ideas!

Yep two torts and a leopard gecko. My parents said I wasn't allowed to get a tortoise, but then I got one anyways and they loved it so I just kept getting more!:)

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY