They are here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelledfriends

10 Year Member!
Finally! My two young erosas are finally here! I had to have them shipped a week later because of my health but they are now here and hopefully will settle down soon. I have set them up in a waterland tub with peat moss and sphagnum moss substrate with lots of oak leaves on top of it.

I am not using any light on their setup but it gets indirect light in its current location. I measured the temps at the substrate level and it is 72F. Should I use a heat emitter and raise the temp to 80F ? I am trying to not let the temp get too high.

Will post pics in a couple of days, right now I want them to settle in and not be too stressed.

Michael

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
CONGRATS :D. Just a reminder, UVB and UVA does not go through glass. Can't wait to see pics

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Awesome! I feel compelled to mention that oaktoxic tree eaves are toxic if consumed...although they lose some toxicity as they die on the ground some is still retained....

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Temps should be okay, just keep an eye on it and don't let it drop too much further. I think the leaves should be fine. I have yet to see a Hingeback eat their leaves, they just trample them to nothing. :p

...of course you know, if Kristina were here, she would say if there are not pictures, it did not happen. :D

shelledfriends

10 Year Member!
Jacqui said:
...of course you know, if Kristina were here, she would say if there are not pictures, it did not happen. :D

Will probably to get to the pics on Friday :)

I offered them some good today but it was a no go. Tomorrow I will go with some cooked meat. I was worried if 72F is too cold and if I need to bump it a bit to get them to eat.

Thanks everyone.

Michael

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You can try upping the heat and see how your two react. What did you try them on so far? Keep in mind, they may not eat right away as that happens often with shipping.

shelledfriends

10 Year Member!
I added a heat source today and will check on the temps in the morning.

Here is a picture of the two...no way I can get them to poke their heads out :)

I cleaned their water dish and found worms in it!!! Yikes. This is going to be a tough one.

I offered them some cooked sweet potatoes and mushrooms today and still no luck. I understand they need to settle in and I will just keep trying :)

Michael

Attachments

• DSC_0060.JPG
    DSC_0060.JPG
    703 KB · Views: 100

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
They are really pretty ones! When I get in new Hingebacks, I do that first soak and then I completely leave them alone. No more touching, handling in any way (even to soak), and try to limit my peaking in at them. Only bothering them to feed and add/change the water.

shelledfriends

10 Year Member!
Jacqui said:
They are really pretty ones! When I get in new Hingebacks, I do that first soak and then I completely leave them alone. No more touching, handling in any way (even to soak), and try to limit my peaking in at them. Only bothering them to feed and add/change the water.

Thanks Jacqui.

Yup, I leave them alone and moved them only to leave them in the water dish. Will limit that as well.

Michael

shelledfriends

10 Year Member!
I stopped by the tortoise house to mist the Erosa's enclosure and found the small one eating the sweet potato. Yay!!!!!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
shelledfriends said:
I stopped by the tortoise house to mist the Erosa's enclosure and found the small one eating the sweet potato. Yay!!!!!

Alright!! That's a huge step in the right direction. :)

gargoileddie

10 Year Member!
Do u mind me asking whefe you got your hingeback? I've been looking for young k Erosa for a few weeks. The website turtlesandtortoises.com had some but the people took two weeks to get back to me and by the time they did they we're sold. :-(. U have some great looking tortoises by the way.

shelledfriends

10 Year Member!
I got mine from Ken Foose at Exotic Pets in Las Vegas. In this case his price was a bit less than Jay's but even when it is higher I recommend going with him because he backs up his animals well. I have read mixed reviews about Jay but it appears that many here in the forum have had good luck with him.

Check out Spectrum reptiles in San Diego. You can see his ad in faunaclassifieds.com. He has had some young erosa for a long time, not sure if he still has them.

Thank you.
Michael

shelledfriends

10 Year Member!
Jacqui said:
How are they doing these days?????

Hi Jacqui,
They are just hanging in there. They are not eating much and doesn't look like they are using the water dish either. They nibble on mushrooms and on sweet potatoes but that's it. Today I am going to try bananas and some Mazuri pellets.

Thanks for asking.
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.