There are crazy cat ladies, dog lovers... what silly things do tort lovers do?

lizzybeth

I celebrate my Tort's Hatchday, when she soaks in the tub i sit there with her and pour warm water over her shell, I pick her dandelion bouquets, give her fruit occassionaly, and sometimes hand feed her. How do yall spoil, pamper, and take care of yalls torts?

the_newzie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
las vegas
Crazy things? So far the thing that made look the craziest was when I was trying to find something to use for a hide when I moved my tort indoors for the winter. After looking everywhere for something safe that wouldn't biodegrade (and coming up empty), I stumbled across the old Legos that our god-daughter used to keep at our house for when she'd come over. As I was channeling my inner 10 yr. old, my wife walked into the living room to find me sitting on the floor deep in concentration surrounded by scattered Legos constructing Steve's hide (which he loves). The look on her face definitely implied that I was crazy.

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
My tortoise is in my Save the Dates for my wedding. They are the cutest. my tortoises but shall be on all my friends fridges (the save the dates are magnets)

LOL. That's awesome! My wife makes custom props and does Photoshop magic for all our animals for the yearly xmas cards. Steve the tortoise (making his first xmas card appearance) will be playing the role of Santa this year with the dogs and cats as reindeer.

And I'm the crazy one for playing with Legos...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I did the Christmas card thing a couple years ago. I am also known as the crazy tortoise lady and I have only lived in this neighborhood since April. My family thinks I'm the crazy animal person, cause I will do whatever it takes for all my animals. Probably the craziest I do with my torts is talk to them, as if they are going to answer and I kiss my sweet heart Tatum, my first leopard. He doesn't mind, the other two leopards look at me as if I am nuts when I kiss them. My russians won't let me kiss him, he pulls his head in too quickly.
Isn't it nice to know though that your not alone with being animal crazy. I mean, there are so many nuts just on this forum:p:D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I did the Christmas card thing a couple years ago. I am also known as the crazy tortoise lady and I have only lived in this neighborhood since April. My family thinks I'm the crazy animal person, cause I will do whatever it takes for all my animals. Probably the craziest I do with my torts is talk to them, as if they are going to answer and I kiss my sweet heart Tatum, my first leopard. He doesn't mind, the other two leopards look at me as if I am nuts when I kiss them. My russians won't let me kiss him, he pulls his head in too quickly.
Isn't it nice to know though that your not alone with being animal crazy. I mean, there are so many nuts just on this forum:p:D
I love talking to my torts! (the turtles usually just glare at me:p ) But they definitely aren't all for the crazy tortoise owner love :(

Last edited:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I would do anything for my guys, and I'm pretty sure we've all exceeded the 'crazy' level of tort ownership at least once! :p;)
I make little fancy buffets for them, and pick only the finest weeds available... my turtles always get the cereal-shelf of variety of food everyday, whether they actually eat it or not!:p
Of course, just like bad little kids, they can be frustrating and annoying, but it's as if I have kids! I'll helicopter-worry over them, and at the end of the day, I'm with them all the way, and nothing can change that :<3:

@the_newzie, I'd love to have a lego house, that's so awesome!! :D

lizzybeth

I give Rawry kisses too!!! i did a reptile christmas card and I am going to be attempting to cross stitch my tortoise, cat, and leopard gecko their own stocking. I love knowing people go crazy for their tortoise like I do.

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I give Rawry kisses too!!! i did a reptile christmas card and I am going to be attempting to cross stitch my tortoise, cat, and leopard gecko their own stocking. I love knowing people go crazy for their tortoise like I do.
Oh gosh, I completely forgot about that!! Last Christmas I loom-knitted (yes, real knitting is hard!) a stocking for my russian and my midland painted turtle :p They look terrible, but it's the thought that counts! ;)
(mymy, I need to get to work, I have 4 more to knit this year!:p )
Good luck and have fun!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
Totally go for the castle :p All you'd need to do is enlarge the door a little ;)
I was thinking the same thing. I could make a custom water dish that acted as a moat. Of course I'd have to design a flag with his family crest on it... What could a tortoise ride as a horse?

I say go for the White House – after all, you're there to "serve at the pleasure of the president" right?
I'm afraid it would go to Steve's head and he'd make me play "Hail to the Chief" every time he exits his hide.

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
I do the Christmas pictures too, much to the dismay of my animals who tend to walk off the "set" after only a minute or two. I also sing to my turtles and tortoises – usually some schmaltzy love song. They don't seem to mind that so much. Of course, I try to give them their favorite foods. One of my desert box turtles loves blackberries, even though her parents won't eat them. Don't know where she got it from. Her half-brother loves blackberries also. I also give them walks in parts of the yard that they don't live in to give them a little variety. They seem to really like that (except for one – she really doesn't like walks – it seems to make her pretty nervous).