theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

marginatawhisperer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
I will probably repeat what has been said over tortoise theft over the years here, but new members keep coming, so:

1. Do not tell locally you have tortoises, unless you have total security.
2. Keep outdoor pen invisible from neighbours and road when possible. Neighbours can be honest, but perhaps not their guests.
3. Do NOT talk unless necessary about the value of your pets.
4. Make a vet put a chip in your animal.
5. Take a picture every year, torts change with age. 37 years ago, two of mine were stolen and sold, got them back from the naughty boys home with pictures, after newspaper ad.
6. Burglar alarms are cheap now, you can know when someone is in your house or garden and get immediate pictures on your phone.
7.Camouflage is a good trick, you have a greenhouse or playhouse for children and a fenced stonegarden to protect from snails, so what?
I intend a nightbox with false bottom, so when you open it, you just see hay. Camouflaged entry hole.
8. Do not announce holidays, if necessary take animals inside or away.

There might be something I forgot, comments appreciated

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Good points. I hate this time of year here because all of the kiddies are out of school for the Summer. When kids get bored they tend to turn mischevious.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
The only thing I would add is a lock on all fences. I also grow bouganvilla on all my fences to discourage climbing them.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
Regarding microchips, I thought I read that there might be some health issues for tortoises. Something about the chips migrating through their bodies? Am I making this up?

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Any chip has the potential to move through the body. For example, in dogs ive put them in at my clinic and we would take an xray of them for another reason months down the road and the microchip will be 5 or 6 inches from the initial injection site. It is possible for it to migrate. Although, not too sure of any risks and/or health risks that may be associated with this in torts

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's a regulation here in my community that your fence has to set back from the street 20' and fences on the street can't be taller than 3' . Since I live on a corner and have two street fences, I planted my cactus garden in the 20' set back. Mostly cholla up near the fence. I dare anyone to come close!!

I also have beware of dog signs on the fences.

There's a gate across my driveway that I keep closed at night and it has a guard dog on duty sign on it.

(My poor old doberman is deaf and partially blind, full of tumors, and once she goes to sleep at night the roof could collapse and she wouldn't hear it)

marginatawhisperer

5 Year Member
Sweden
Good ideas with dog signs and plants. It scares me that chips can wander in the body.
It seems that tortoise security in general has a lot to do with home security. But it is sad that it is not without its problems to talk freely about our hobby. But stamp collectors, coin collectors etc. have been facing this problem for many years. Although my neighbours do not know about my tortoises, I will consider involving them a little in my security measures, and do the same for them.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
ADT security is what I have for my home. $42/month and I have sensors on all windows and doors. Calls the police for me during a break-in.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
There is no electronic security system that a competent thief can't get around, so don't rely on such too much. Signs indicating that you have an electronic security system is just as effective.

A few large, territorial, noisy dogs are the way to go, but be sure your tortoise enclosures are dog-proof.

And a pump 12-guage is handy, as well.

expo tort

5 Year Member
What I think is the most effective method is I use is simply bringing out a few of my more dangerous toys; bows, shotguns and slingshots;out once and a while and using them. I personally think its a lot more effective than the sticker on my window which says I have an alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.