Radiated tortoise theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
This is to inform the tortoise keeping community at large about the theft of radiated, hermanns and marginated tortoises from my friend Regis Opferman. Here is a note I received from him:

Hi All
Yesterday, Aug 7, someone stole my adult pair of radiated tortoises (studbook # 718 and #805). Also took 4 adult eastern hermanns and 4 adult marginated. If you hear of anything, anywhere please contact me. This stinks. As you can imagine, I really want them back and catch the thieves.. so hopefully will discourage this for all of our benefit..
phone 719-676-3911 or 719-369-9820
thank you
Regis

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
This happened in CO (isn't that the 719 area code) or where? I think this is one of our biggest fears at the far back of everybody's mind. We spend years, sweat, emotions and money into caring for these creatures and in a second they can be taken from us. Does he have any ideas as to who may have taken them?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Jacqui said:
This happened in CO (isn't that the 719 area code) or where? I think this is one of our biggest fears at the far back of everybody's mind. We spend years, sweat, emotions and money into caring for these creatures and in a second they can be taken from us. Does he have any ideas as to who may have taken them?

Yes on the Colorado question. Not sure about the second one though. I too hope they get caught...and punished.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Unfortunately odds are strong they will never get caught and then if they do, they will get a very lite punishment. I don't get stealing, but to steal a living animal, a possible pet, from folks is beyond that. Words just escape me to be able to write what I am feeling here.

conservation

10 Year Member!
Scary, that is why I have tall locked gates, large trained guard dogs, cameras, guns, and a security system protecting my lil ones. If they make it in, they won't make it out without getting caught.

The only way to catch the crook is to pass around pictures of the stolen torts on all the forums. We are a small community full of decent people. If we can identify the torts, one of us will likely see them for sale online or at a show. Also, please post the contact info of the investigating agency. There is a good chance the Radiated will be illegally trafficked out of the State, making it a federal case with much more significant legal consequences. The investigating agency will likely not be aware of the federal law and handle it locally which will result in only a slap on the hand.

We can all help by checking all the non reptile specific classifieds as well.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Pets101 said:
Scary, that is why I have tall locked gates, large trained guard dogs, cameras, guns, and a security system protecting my lil ones. If they make it in, they won't make it out without getting caught.

The only way to catch the crook is to pass around pictures of the stolen torts on all the forums. We are a small community full of decent people. If we can identify the torts, one of us will likely see them for sale online or at a show. Also, please post the contact info of the investigating agency. There is a good chance the Radiated will be illegally trafficked out of the State, making it a federal case with much more significant legal consequences. The investigating agency will likely not be aware of the federal law and handle it locally which will result in only a slap on the hand.

:) i like your thinking :) hahaha

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That so sucks. Hope your friend gets them back. I will keep and eye out over in my part of the country. Not many Rads for sale here, so if one shows up, a good bet would be it's your friends.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Not good ..... and an Inside job for sure! Good luck trying to get rid of them who ever was foolish enough to steal them. Although , your friend has no security system at all?.....:(

Hope he gets his torts back .....!

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I hate to see things like this! I hope whoever stole these torts gets discovered and caught ASAP and a safe return for the animals! Unfortunately these torts will most likely never hit the market.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Pets101 said:

Indeed...see if he can send detailed pics and we'll all get the word out...maybe he'll get lucky!

marginatawhisperer

5 Year Member
Sweden
Perhaps a strategy is to think deeply about who knew about the existence of the animals and the whereabouts of the owner.
Perhaps also changed behavior in a "friend", someone nearby won the "lottery"?, but this is nasty thinking, should be limited.
But I have had people I regarded as friends steal, unfortunately.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sad to hear, but I doubt it was an inside job. It could have been simply teenagers, who saw something different and decided to take it. Of course you will have to prove they were, any chance they were chipped, did they have any unusual marks, do you have any pictures showing you with them. Considering the value of these guys taken, if they are ever caught, it could be considered grand theft I think the limit is 400 anything above that would hopefully entail more punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.