The Wild One

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I got this wild ornata from my sister's box turtle yard...she looked like she was in trouble so my sis let me bring her home where she quickly became a pet...a crazy, funny little mean turtle...she climbed up, but it looks like she has doubts about getting downDSCN2459.JPG

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can't see so well tonight...is that another real tortoise under the plant pot?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Tammy. You coward. Why don't you ask why a pair are kept together 🤔???
No, Tammy you are wrong here...box turtles are not like tortoises...I keep 6 Terrapine ornata ornata in one tort table in my house and another with 3 toed box turtles...they are not like tortoises, box turtles are very social and except for meal times they get along alright. When I put them outside in the pond they all hang together and hunt slugs together, then fight over them...You know, Tammy, I can send you a box turtle... they are way easier to care for than torts...and you have great weather for them...how can you resist this face??? Here's this morning's breakfast, I actually grow snails and slugs in a bucket100_2747.JPG
lololol100_2776.JPG100_2678.JPG

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow. I didn't know that about box turtles! I do love them and wish I could get a few, but it is impossible for lots of reasons...and they brumate...!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
. . . or why different species?????
Shame on you Yvonne...Ok (such pressure) I confess, I do keep 2 sub species together...and you know what??? I don't care...most of the time they are in the pond and each turtle has something differwnt that they do...daily...anyhow. yep, I do keep them together...and if you think about why I got the last 3 turtles from you and how they were then and now...you didn't even know The Wild One was wild...she sure taught Little Sh*t not to get in her table!!! lol she bit him so hard that he jumped out of the table with her hanging on to his neck...he bled...he hasn't gone in the table since. I think it was also a lesson to the turtle cuz she bounced and rolled...lolDSCN1005.JPG
Wow. I didn't know that about box turtles! I do love them and wish I could get a few, but it is impossible for lots of reasons...and they brumate...!
I have never brumated or hibernated any chelonia ever...The box turtles are active all winter...